[Sorcerer] parallel lives

Started by Moreno R., May 14, 2014, 10:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreno R.

Hi Ron!

Me and Sorcerer, second attempt, still by Google hangout, two players, starts tomorrow.

As in the previous attempt, the characters were created before the consolidation of the play group. One is the last of the characters posted in my "call for characters" in gentechegioca (the one who could travel back in time using a insect swarm parasite demon), the other is a character created for one of your convention games.
I don't know if you still remember the character played by Mauro at Internoscon at Bertinoro with you as GM, the battered wife with the demon ring. Mauro really liked that character and wanted to play it for more than a couple of scenes, so he re-used it for this game (thanks, Mauro, so I can add being compared to Ron to my usual list of GM's anxieties...)

So, one of the two character is an American paramedic, that can travel in time, that want to find a killer before he could commit a murder years before. The other is a Italian separated wife that has to fight for child custody.

After reading Mauro's character, the other player wrote to me that if I want he can move his character to Italy, changing names and places on the sheet.

And I am thinking about not changing anything, instead. But this would mean not having any interaction between the characters. And I am not talking only about characters meeting: no "crosses", nothing the two character can do could realistically noticed by the other. Two totally separated stories.

This not unusual by itself in Sorcerer, even in my last game two months ago the characters could have been the protagonists of totally separated stories, it was their decision to meet. But in that case they had a choice and there were "crosses" between their stories from the beginning. Not in this case, at least as far as I can see.

So...   I understand that I can play it in both manners. I can leave the character as they are now and play these as two separated stories, or I can move one of them in in the same city the other lives. What I am lacking is the experience in this game, or at least enough experience to make an informed decision. What would you suggest?

Ron Edwards

Remind me of the two phrases for this game. First, the brief evocation of setting and genre; second, the look and feel of sorcery/demons.

Moreno R.

Hi!

"First, a statement of environment, deliberately kept brief and with any amount of implicit tension".:  Here and Now

"Second, a statement of the look and feel for demons and sorcery: similarly brief and evocative, visual or conceptual or both": Darkness, cruelty, sin, damnation and pentacles.

The first character was created from these two statements, Here is the first draft posted: the character was altered a little in a email conversation but not too much, until now.

For the second character, I asked Mauro to look at the two statements and make the necessary changes. They were very few, the need (violence) was unchanged, he simply detailed a little more details about how the wife summoned and bound the ring.

Ron Edwards

Do it just like you did the other game, in terms of consequences and crosses. Merely use the second statement as your foundation for doing so rather than the first, and do it a lot.