[Circle of Hads] The "Dominate" Rbaja spell

Started by Moreno R., October 14, 2015, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreno R.

Hi Ron

(I am separating the questions to make the answer more search-able in the future)

The "Dominate" spell, page 131:

Duration : Prolonged, Ritual: No
Target : One person
Effect : The Target may apply Charm vs. 12 rolls to animals and peasants.
Resist : None
Unnamed characters : Successful Charm effect with no roll required
Variants / options : The caster may pump Brawn to affect additional individuals 1:1

How does it works? I understand the "to animal" parts (even if it's not clear the effect: if it's a normal charm roll the animal should simply befriend you, not follow any orders, but then you make the example later in the text of a horde of rats at the command of the caster), but why "peasants"? Doesn't work on any other social class? And on an Ascended peasant...  doesn't work as the normal not-magical charm roll?

All this imply that it's a different, more powerful effect, but the book doesn't say what it is...

Moreno R.

OK, I just read page 138 with the "Therefore, in game terms, for Circle knights who don't have peasant status and for everyone else too, peasants are moving parts of the background in scenes. The mechanics for unnamed people and groups aren't used for them, and they can't be ascended or even be targeted by Wits or Charm." bit. This clarify the "animal and peasants" bit, all the other questions still stand.

Ron Edwards

The "horde of rats at one's command" is a little bit hyperbolic but the spell's effect could work out that way, just not automatically and instantly.

I'm not seeing the problem, I guess. Being able to use Charm rolls on peasants when you're not a peasant is an enormous game effect. Or on wolves, or ... I really don't see what you're asking.

Moreno R.

I was asking about the effect of the spell, in terms of "what does this spell do to the people in this situation?"

Your first line answered that (with the "just not automatically and instantly" bit), thanks.