News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Spiritual Attributes with Roll & Keep

Started by 6inTruder, February 28, 2004, 03:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6inTruder

I'm looking to run an L5R game. Eventually. And a change I want to make to the system is that I want to import tRoS's SAs pretty much whole cloth. As both a Dice Pool bonus AND as an Experiance Mechanic.

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but if so I was curious if you added the SA rank to just the Roll, or to both the Roll and Keep?

Bankuei

Hi 6,

Given L5R's exploding dice mechanics, extra dice go a looooong way.  If you only allow the SA's to add to the Roll factor, you will make them a very significant means of increased ability.  If you make them a roll and keep factor, you pretty much say that skill and ability are close to meaningless to the SAs.  

Of course, either one works well with the L5R concept, just be aware that the latter will make the players hardly feel that character advancement is worth anything at all.

Do let me know how that turns out, I'm planning on running an L5R game with the Sorcerer rules, and it'd be interesting to compare notes.

Chris

6inTruder

Quote from: BankueiGiven L5R's exploding dice mechanics, extra dice go a looooong way.  If you only allow the SA's to add to the Roll factor, you will make them a very significant means of increased ability.  If you make them a roll and keep factor, you pretty much say that skill and ability are close to meaningless to the SAs.
Those were pretty much my thoughts. I just don't remember the L5R roll mechanic exactly ^_^ (as my CoreBook is in a box in the rafters and I can't get at it) I do think I'll go with just adding the dice to the Roll.

Post up when you do the L5R/Sorcerer deal. I'd be interested in how it tweaks... I was thinking that the base Sorcerer character system would be a cool fit for Usagi Yojimbo myself.