News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Setting seeks System, for long walks, cuddling....

Started by clehrich, February 26, 2004, 11:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clehrich

Quote from: Mike Holmes
Quote from: clehrich1. They don't really realize what long-term consequences there are, so there are lots of hooks;
The thing is that, if I understand correctly, the players will know what the repercussions are. Not to sound anti-author stance, but how do you think they'll handle that?
Well, if I understood what Ralph was proposing correctly, and even if I didn't as I would plan to take it, the players know that there will be consequences, but not exactly what they will be (nor will I until I have time to sit down and think about it between sessions).  No matter what they do, there will be unintended future consequences -- for good or ill, depending on whom you ask -- but they're not likely to be able to predict these effectively.  What I'd love to see is for this to hang together effectively enough that the players actually get involved in working out some of these ramifications; sort of, "You know, I knew we shouldn't have knocked down that tower!"
QuoteYes, the power of SAs work in your favor to incentivize players to grab onto something, and this works in your favor. But I wonder if it's not overly powerful in a way. I mean, looking at the demise of all that the characters hold dear, wouldn't you switch to things that are more generic like the standard "Be the Best" Drive? Meaning that when you get to part two, I think that the players will have a full set of useable SAs - they just won't have anything to do with the current setting (I'm seeing lots of Luck).
An excellent point.  I was actually thinking that you'd have to have pretty much the same SA's, or at least somehow comparable ones.  So you couldn't just dump all the points into Luck, for example.  If you had Destiny: Kill the Demon King, now you still have a Destiny.  What is it?  Better find out fast -- better start looking.
QuoteThat is, if I was going off to certain doom, I'd probably make my peace with the current world, represented by dropping all of those SAs on the way to the palace.
This I need to think about quite hard, because unfortunately it makes damn good sense.  I need to re-read the SA's thing, mull it over, and maybe ask some questions on their Forum.

Thanks, Mike!

Chris Lehrich
Chris Lehrich

Jason Lee

I'd just like to add that someone better lose an eye or something in part one.

Scars, complete exhaustion of magical power, or quirky magical flaws from the big battle with the demon king would help connect part one and two for the players, and give part one more meaning.

I'd probably let the players choose ("I dim the sun!", "I lose an eye!", "My tongue permanently turns to flame!", "I have the demon king's arm because he chopped off mine and I attached his mid battle!", etc), but other people might enjoy surprises more.
- Cruciel