News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Terrain Rolls

Started by Dan Sellars, March 02, 2004, 11:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Sellars

I was just wondering about terrain rolls.

I see what happens if your fighting on slippy ground and I see what happens if your fighting multiple opponents.  

What do you do if your fighting multiple opponents on slippy ground?

I was thinking that all participents would make a roll for the ground and you (being out numbered) would make an additional roll for having more that one opponent.  Would this be correct?  Or would you stack the TN some how?

Cheers,
Dan.

Lance D. Allen

The former (separate rolls) is the more canonically correct answer.

The second I do for simplicity's sake. Just take a look at the numbers, and extrapolate a good TN from there.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jaif

"I was thinking that all participents would make a roll for the ground and you (being out numbered) would make an additional roll for having more that one opponent."

I actually do the opposite.  The lone person rolls for slipping; the pair each roll for both slipping and not getting in the way of the other person.  Note that the lone person is already at a huge disadvantage only having one pool to pull from, so he's probably toast anyways.

-Jeff

Edge

Ok i thought it would be a roll for being on the slippery ground and then if you want to make a terrain roll to limit the number of multiple opponents you face then you can.

The two rolls are seperate to each other as one is to see if you fall and the other is use that terrain to your advantage.

I could be totally on the wrong page here so if i am please correct me :)

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: EdgeOk i thought it would be a roll for being on the slippery ground and then if you want to make a terrain roll to limit the number of multiple opponents you face then you can.

The two rolls are seperate to each other as one is to see if you fall and the other is use that terrain to your advantage.

That's exactly right. There's no rule that says you only make 1 terrain roll a round - make as many as are necessary; the more things distracting you, the less concentration you have to apply to the fight (i.e. fewer CP left because you've been spending them on all the terrain rolls).

Having said that, Lance's method isn't a bad one if you want to save time on rolling, but I prefer taking a little longer and making the player decide - how many dice on the icy terrain? How many on the multiple opponents? How many on... etc. TROS is all about choices.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Dan Sellars

Thats what I was meaning in my frist post sorry if it didn't make too much sense ;)

1)  Everyone rolls to see if they fall over.

2) Outnumbered player rolls to see if he can use the terrain to his advantage (only fight one player).

Could the two "attackers"  make a roll for terrain to manouver into an attacking position as well? the way I was thinking is; D is trying to maneuver in to defending position (only facing one attacker) A1 and A2 are trying to maneouver into an attacking position (both being able to attack).  So the attacker (say A2) that D is trying to avoid could make some kind of opposed roll on the terrain to D, the one with the most successes on the roll wins.    

I think this might just complicate things and I'm happy enough with the system as is.  It's more just food for thought.

Regards,
Dan.

Brian Leybourne

Yes, I certainly allow anti-terrain rolls. I wrote an article about it as an optional rule, but you'll have to wait for TFOB to read it :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Lance D. Allen

I don't even consider "anti-terrain rolls" to be an optional rule. It's just something that happens.

All combatants who want to attempt to maneuver for advantage roll dice. Whoever has the most successes gets to declare his results first.

Generally mooks don't, unless commanded by a "named" NPC or PC.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Dan Sellars

cool thanks,

makes sense.  just wanted to check I was on the correct track ;)

Dan