News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Got my Solmukohta Book

Started by John Kim, March 09, 2004, 04:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Kim

I just wanted to say that I got my contributor's copy of the book "Beyond Role and Play" that Jonathan Walton mentioned in http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=9878">this thread.  

Thus far, I am quite pleased with it.  It is digest-sized (I gues 8" x 6" or so) and 304 pages, perfect-bound, with a photo of a sunrise over some unusual columns on the cover.  The full cover title is
QuoteBeyond Role and Play
tools, toys and theory for harnessing the imagination

edited by Markus Montola, Jaako Stenros
forward by Frans Mayra
Back cover:
QuoteBeyond Role and Play - Tools, Toys and Theory for Harnessing the Imagination is a collection of articles by researchers and role-playing game enthusiasts from seven countries.  This book offers practical tools, analytical viewpoints, inspirational game reviews and fresh methodological ideas for all who take role-playing seriously.  The book covers both tabletop and live-action role-playing as an artform, a political tool, an educational method and as great entertainment.  

The THEORY section consists of articles that are mostly of interest to researchers, PRACTICE includes tried and true tools for both game designers and players. GAMES holds descriptive reviews of completed projects and analyses of a number of Nordic larps, and finally OPENINGS provokes with radical new ideas that are of equal interest to both researchers and game masters.  

"[E]xtra effort must be taken to underline the significance of larp and role-playing - as art, as popular culture, as something that not only a small core group of the initiated, but a much wider audience can learn and profit from.  This is an important book, indeed."
Frans Mayra, in his Foreword

Solmukohta*04
Ropecon ry

ISBN 952-91-6842-X (paperback)
ISBN 952-91-6843-8 (pdf)

Cover and Layout by Henri Hakkarainen
It has 28 essays.  It is nicely laid-out, I think, though no index.  I'll put up a list of the authors and essays soon, and maybe a review of the whole book.  I'm still reading it now.
- John

Jonathan Walton

Thanks John.

I still haven't heard back from the organizers, who were exploring getting a PayPal account (so we don't have to pool funds and then send them an international money order).  I'll email them today and see if I can get info on that and a final price estimate for the 8 books that Forge denizens wanted.  Don't worry guys, I haven't forgotten about it...