News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer & Sword

Started by Valamir, December 16, 2001, 12:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valamir

Got it read it loved it.

The only downside is that my new apartment uses those really small business envelope sized boxes and the mail carrier seems to view this as a personal challenge to see how much can be crammed in the small space.  Net result, one bunged up copy of S&S.  Ah well.  I buy stuff off Ebay in worse shape.

Only one current comment to make.  Chapter 7, The Anatomy of Authored Role-playing is perhaps the most powerful useful "how-to" section ever written inside the covers of a gaming book.  After decades of game books opening with yet another "what is role-playing" lecture complete with instructions on what the funny dice are, all of which was basically lifted whole cloth from what some other word count padding twit wrote in another game...it was entirely refreshing to read one that is actually usefull.

Halfway through my eyes glazed over and I spent 15 minutes imagining the cool possibilities opened up by playing scenarios out of chronological order.  Good stuff and entirely appropriate to the literature.  

You should consider posting the whole chapter in the articles section under required Forge reading.

Damn, and then to top it off a plug for Universalis at the end.  Now I'm really going to have to buckle down and finish the damn thing :smile:

Ron Edwards

Who are you and what have you done with Ralph??!

In all seriousness, though ... many thanks. I'm very, very happy with this book.

Best,
Ron

Valamir

Heh, heh :smile:

Truthfully, this is the kind of thing that I thought was missing in Sorcerer.  I'm glad to see you had time to include it in Sword and look forward to seeing more of it in Soul.