News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Player's Guide to Roleplaying

Started by Jonathan Walton, March 25, 2004, 03:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clehrich

Quote from: komradebobWill any of the articles make a preliminary appearance on the Forge? I know that the publishing forum threads have debated the wisdom of freely available games that are later published as a sold product. Still, I'd be interested in seeing both the work in progress and buying the final hardcopy.
Difficult question to answer.  It depends primarily on who the authors are, and what sort of publication and distribution we go with in the end.  I hope some "sneak peeks" at least will be available before we go to press, but I think that's going to be difficult to promise.
QuoteWhen the book is a reality, you might want to see if you can get it sold in the reference section of BigBookstores, in the same area where you find guides to writing, and specifically writing genre fiction. This is an area that you might not have considered for distribution. Plus, I sorta hope that this book showing up in said area might suck new blood into the hobby...
I agree entirely.  This relates to the previous issue, in fact.  If we're going to get wider distribution, issues of exclusivity of rights begin to raise their ugly heads.  Sort of a trade-off.  If we go with free PDF, the whole thing is freely available, but won't appear in bookstores.  If we were to go with a big publisher (I don't mean a big RPG publisher, but a big mainstream publisher -- not that I think this is something we're likely to attempt) then any distribution apart from hard copy for pay would be entirely at their discretion.  You see?  So we have to see how this progresses.

Thanks for the input, and the support.
Chris Lehrich