News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bangs, Crises, and Inciting Events

Started by Alan, March 24, 2004, 04:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

contracycle

Quote from: Henri
Regarless, since you have brought it up, perhaps we should explore this idea.  Should a crux only refer to decisions that are important for directing the course of the story?  I'm inclined to think that this differentiation might be too fuzzy to hold up under close scrutiny, but I certainly haven't made up my mind yet.  It will, of course, depend on the CA and on the specific context.

I like the concept of "inciting event" and read it as suggesting specifically some sort of player -generated action.  That is, it incites action from the player, rather than compels them to react to some stimulus.  That seems useful for expanding the concept of bangs, becuase the purpose of bangs is to engage the players.

If we are confronting giants, regardless of the operational CA, then a giant which presents such a problem that the characters must degelop a plan to deal with it is geuninely inciting, while a giant as scenery or purely as a component of threat is not.  They are just dealt with via the stock routines.

anyway, I like the refinement, becuas eI feel in bangs is a nugget of a sort of story arhcitecture, a potential mechanism for scene linking and possibly a more purposeful approach to scenario design.  So I'd like to see bangs exploded, as it were.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci