News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TROS - Death Spiral?

Started by Drifter Bob, March 31, 2004, 01:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance D. Allen

Keep in mind that most people who cry out "death spiral" (what a goofy term, if I have to make my own judgement) have never played the game, or haven't played it the way it's meant to be played...

In the end, however, some people may simply not like TRoS. Yes, it's possible. ::Waits for the gasps of shock to die down:: It's got a very steep learning curve. It's got a deadly, realistic combat system which really is superior to any other if the goal is realistic modeling of actual swordplay.

Mini-rant:
Am I elitist? Probably. But I don't think that anyone should play TRoS if it doesn't suit them. I do, however, believe that you should play TRoS before you give any sort of value-judgement, and play it properly before you make any sort of decision. If you are inclined to do neither, then, with all courtesy, keep your mouth shut on the topic. It's your right to not play, and though I might prefer otherwise, it's your right to sound off whether or not you should.. But it's also my right to consider you an ignorant jackass if you do.

Note that the above rant is not aimed at anyone in particular, nor was it inspired by anyone in particular.. It's just the recent rash of threads here mentioning opinions based on ignorance being spread across the internet like so much sewage.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Bill Cook

Welcome to the Forge, Emiricol!

Quote from: Emiricol. . Threads like this one might help me convince some people to try it out if I shell out the money for it :)

That was how I got my group to try it -- I bought three indie titles and spread them out on the table during a break.  Though I had no idea which one they'd take to.  Playing TROS campaigns has been like getting a vitamin B shot.  I encourage you to make the leap.

Emiricol

Wow, Wolfen.  People really come here, to the TRoS forums, to bash the game?  That would be asinine, yeah... Or do you just mean the opinions of people less knowledgeable than you? :)

Thanks for the welcome, bcook!  I've gone through the quickstart rules and rummaged everything else I could get my hands on.  The more I see, the more I want to buy it.  I guess if I can't get my tabletop group to try it there's always OpenRPG.

Sorry for going off topic - just enthused about picking up the game as soon as I have the money.

Lance D. Allen

No, they generally don't come here.. 'cause, yanno, the Forge is a bunch of elitists.

But there have been a couple recent threads, like this one, mentioning people bashing it elsewhere. There are several games I don't like. Most of them, I've not tried, or played "badly". Some of them I've played the way they're intended to be played, and I still don't like them. If I wanted to sit here and talk about why I didn't like a game that I understood how to play, I'd feel qualified. If I wanted to go to a site where this game is worshipped as the Game God Would Play if He Were a Gamer and tear it apart, detail by detail, I would feel qualified. On the other hand, if I sit here in my comfortable little TRoS niche, and bash a bunch of games that I've never played, or not played properly, talking about how TRoS is better than all of them and how much they suck because of this bit of nonsense I picked up from someone else who did a bad review, or because of this other tidbit I decided I hated on a brief read-through of the rules, not only would I be asinine, I'd be a coward. If I went to those other boards to nitpick their games with this premise, I'd be asinine, and a jackass for going to cause trouble.

Basically, any judgement made in ignorance is a losing proposition. I admit that some of the judgements I've made are totally ignorant, but I keep my mouth shut about them, and usually freely admit that my prejudice is entirely unreasoning. So long as I don't go running off at the mouth, either here or elsewhere, about some game I don't know enough about to be qualified, I'm good, and feel justified acting elitist toward those who decide not to keep their mouths shut.

And yes, I do tend to rant a bit. But I'm generally a nice guy.

I should have done the welcome to the Forge, and I feel an incredible boor for missing it. I hope you can forgive me. ::grins::
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: IngeniousUhhh whoah. He's right. Whatdya know!
Also, Brian, your combat simulator is busted. It can't calculate reflex + proficiency. 6+6 does not equal 6...if ya know what I mean. I found a solution though by upping my proficiency to 12 lol.. which results of course in a CP of 12...

Uh, no. You're wrong.

Folk are right that the Combat Sim does incorrectly let you use committed dice to steal initiative (never noticed that before, oops) but it does calculate reflex+proficiency right (I just checked).

If it doesn't on your PC, try a re-install; sounds like something has gone screwey.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion