News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] Which Mini-Supplement?

Started by Demada, April 01, 2004, 06:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demada

I have ordered "Charnel Gods" and "Schism." I'm looking to order one more mini-supplement for Sorcerer, and I'm not sure which one. I want something that will help me stretch the usefulness of sorcerer,  and the two more unusual ones seem to be Demon Cops and Electric Ghosts. From the blurp, Hellbound seems more a neat setting for a more "vanilla" (for lack of a better word) Sorcerer game and Urge... I'm not sure of. The blurb makes it sound like I game I don't think I could find a player for, but is the information contained within useful?

In a nutshell: I'm getting Charnel Gods and Schism, which other mini-supplement should I get if I want to see the widest range of what Sorcerer can do?

Valamir

If widest range is the primary goal, go with Demon Cops.  It takes Sorcerer into the realm of anime.  Almost Buffy meets Poke'mon...not that Ron will ever forgive me for saying that.

Urge is also very good, and Hellbound is definitely worth it for the setting alone.  Electric Ghosts I have to admit that I didn't really get it...didn't click for me the first time through, but I haven't spent alot of time trying so that's more my fault than the games.

Also don't forget that there a free mini sup included in the most recent issue of Daedalus called Inside, which takes Sorcerer into the Matrix.

But for zomzing competely diverent...definitely Demon Cops.

hardcoremoose

I second Demon Cops.

Really, all of the mini-sups are great, but Demon Cops gets the nod because of the wealth of practical information it provides , including a nice sample scenario that spurs a lot of thought about scenario prep.

And it has cool sample demons.  I especially like the weird sentient outhouses (or whatever they are) scattered about the landscape.

- Scott

greyorm

Dissenting opinion: my thought is that Urge is the mini-supplement to get for an idea of the range of Sorcerer. Demon Cops seemed mostly "color" to me (sorry, Ron!) -- that is, a pretty standard Sorcerer set-up. Now, this is a non-objective judgement of it, as I'm just going on what I recall.

I think Urge presents an interesting alternative to "summoned demons," as well as a good idea of what a mini-supplement one-sheet would look like -- it's very focused, and Clinton believes it works best with only one player. I believe, however, the material could be used to supplement standard Sorcerer play, as a different "type" of Sorcerer.

Though if you bought Electric Ghosts, I certainly wouldn't mind! I obviously think it is a great supplement with much to offer, including an alternate Sorcerous ritual, demon definitions, and some details on an "Otherworld" and using it in the game.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Demada

Thank you all. I went with Demon Cops. Hopefully I will get it soon. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I will get them all somewhere.