News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

How do you manage augments?

Started by Janus, April 02, 2004, 05:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janus

Hi,

I was wondering how HeroQuest GMs were managing augments.

a) Do you pre-calculate some augments? (e.g. standard close combat augments)

b) Do you decide the augments and then do the narration or do you start with some narration and then deduce the augments?

c) Do you place a limit on the number of augments or the total augment value?

d) Around what value are your typical augments for a contest?

e) How far do you allow the players to stretch their arguments to get an augment? (e.g. a character trying to augment combat with the amorous vigor because he claims fighting give a hard-on to his character...) Does it have to be a logical augment? or are comical augments ok?

All suggestions / opinions about how to manage augments are welcome.

Regards,

Janus

Harrek

Quote from: JanusI was wondering how HeroQuest GMs were managing augments.

Are you asking about the augments your PCs are getting, or your NPCs?

Quotea) Do you pre-calculate some augments? (e.g. standard close combat augments)

From a player's POV, after a few sessions you learn your common totals, and just go with those. When everything is on the line, you comb through your abilities to pull new stuff in. It really depends how important the contest is. If it makes things easier, you (meaning the player) could pre-calculate, yeah.

For NPCs, I'd usually wing their augments - too much for the GM to track otherwise. Target numbers are based more on how much you want to challenge PCs (i.e. the NPC's score is almost entirely relative). Just eyeball something that sounds good, and justify it with a few abilities - even if you have to make the abilities up on the spot.

Quoteb) Do you decide the augments and then do the narration or do you start with some narration and then deduce the augments?

In my experience, it's usually a little of both. The player will run down the list of augments they'd like to get, narrating a little blurb and a bonus amount at the same time. For unusual augments, they're also asking for narrator approval:

"I make the sign of Grotz with my left hand, and my sword bursts into flame. +2, Flaming Sword Charm of Grotz."

"Can I use my Bunny Slippers 5w? No? Dang."

Quotec) Do you place a limit on the number of augments or the total augment value?

Not normally, except the few limits in the rules. Those mostly apply to magic: 'First Magic' (p. 100), 'Stacking Magic' (p. 101), 'Single Use' (p. 79). Just remember a character can only have a limited number of augments ready at the start of a contest, and usually adding new augments during the contest cost an action to perform.

Quoted) Around what value are your typical augments for a contest?

Once your players know what they're doing, they'll have +10 augments on just about anything, easily. When they start working as a team and augmenting one another, that will increase. For important contests, they'll pull out at least +20 in augments (for the 'point men' for that contest). Expect to be surprised.

Quotee) How far do you allow the players to stretch their arguments to get an augment? (e.g. a character trying to augment combat with the amorous vigor because he claims fighting give a hard-on to his character...) Does it have to be a logical augment? or are comical augments ok?

That's entirely up to the GM, and any justification he cares to use. If the player's request is amusing; if the player really needs the augment or they'll get pasted; if they're convincing; whatever. The games I've played in have been fairly generous about allowing augments. After all, most single auto-augments are only +1 or +2.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Josh R.

Janus

Quote from: HarrekAre you asking about the augments your PCs are getting, or your NPCs?
For my players, for my NPCs I just make up a number that will make the contest interesting :)

Bankuei

Hi Janus,

Here's my usual methods, others will vary:

Quotea) Do you pre-calculate some augments? (e.g. standard close combat augments)

I'll give you a strong...sometimes!  The reason I don't assume the scores to always be in effect is that both the heroes and narrator characters will be constantly vying to use tactics to negate each other's augments.

For example, if one character has Nimble and Supersword, another character will probably try to use something like a net or rope to entangle them to negate their augments, or even simple tactics like luring them into a confined space to reduce their mobility.

If you find the same numbers all the time, that means that the folks at the table(both players and the Narrator) are not being really inventive in the tactics and methods being used by their characters.

Quoteb) Do you decide the augments and then do the narration or do you start with some narration and then deduce the augments?

I usually do the latter, since I place a heavier emphasis on creative actions than numbers, and "Do what you want, then figure the numbers" tends to work better for me and my players.

Although, if someone decides to add an augment, I often either have the player work it in as a narrated event or do so myself("Ah, yes!  Then the Giant Hawks fly down and save us from the orcs!")

Quotec) Do you place a limit on the number of augments or the total augment value?

I do not.  I limit only based on what is plausible for the game, which links into the idea of narrate first, numbers second.  Some people fear that open-ended augments will either result in too much time being spent on calculating totals(hasn't happened for me), or else giving "too much" power into the hands of the players.  With the latter concern, there's really two ways to deal with it; either utilize the augments that Narrator characters will also have to even out the odds, or else simply accept that the underdog can win with enough in their favor and that "realism" is not necessarily a concern for a good game.

Quote) Around what value are your typical augments for a contest?

For beginning characters, I have folks typically using between 3-5 augments and pulling up about +5 to +10 on an average contest.  If you count in Situational Modifers, their opposition usually drops another 5-10 or the hero's score is upped another 5-10 depending on how you look at it.  So all in all, players are usually working with a number 10-20 above what's on the page.

Quotee) How far do you allow the players to stretch their arguments to get an augment? (e.g. a character trying to augment combat with the amorous vigor because he claims fighting give a hard-on to his character...) Does it have to be a logical augment? or are comical augments ok?

Since the narration happens first, usually the action itself is necessary to justify augments.  I haven't had any issues with folks pushing the line or asking for out there and weird augments.  

If I encountered it, I'd probably ask the player to better name/define the trait to something more appropriate("Oh?  Ok, you have a Fetish for Violence!"), which would probably narrow down the player's options for doing that in the future.  I'm sure they'd probably prefer to keep the former trait and simply skip on the contest than suffer with the new one with limitations... :)

Usually players looking for a big advantage are better off going for situational modifiers which I hand out for logical tactics, cinematic actions, etc, and easily score 5-10 and can go up to a 20 point bonus!  It's easier and quicker than nibbling for a +2 augment.

Chris