News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Reality Check - Money money money... $$$

Started by orbsmatt, April 06, 2004, 11:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav

I do all right with my stuff.

Hellbound sells at a steady(ish) 5 to 10 copies each month.

Unfortunate Destinies, when I actually put effort into it, runs incredibly well, making me consider actually doing something with it again.

Obsidian.  Not only is it doing swimmingly... it still does just as well even after we dropped Alliance from our distributor network (yeah, if you're reading this FUCK YOU ALLIANCE!  AND FUCK YOUR LATE PAYING ASSES AND THINKING YOU CAN DEMAND CONCESSIONS FROM US!  Ahem... sorry, I despise them and their inability to effectively manage what amounts to a fucking warehouse.  Seriously, I could run their show at half their operating costs twice as well as they do.

The moral of the story: don't let the distributors push you around, they need you TONS more than you need them.  The little regional distributors are just swell.  I like them.  I give them books, they give me money.  Seems simple.  I'll even allow returns from them.  But the big guys... Diamond, Esdevium, Pegasus, Alliance, ad nauseum.  They want the books in less than a wekk, and will pay in not less than thrity days.  Imbalance?  That's right, fuck 'em.  Fuck 'em with a sharp stick.

Dav

Paul Czege

...I'm slightly in the hole, which is exactly where I want to be for tax purposes.

Charging everything but the cost of sunlight as an expense I still ended up with taxable earnings. Next year, hopefully, I'll join you in the hole.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Sean

Can't you only declare a loss 2 out of every 3 years?

Of course, with the kinds of reviews MLwM's been getting lately, I suspect Paul's going to have a hard time losing money in '04...

Lxndr

Yeah.  It's always easiest to be in the hole your first year.  Or so it seems/feels to me.  Because that year is where most of your money is spent.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming