News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Beer and munchies

Started by clehrich, April 04, 2004, 02:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brainwipe

Most of my players travel straight from work, so we eat Pizza just before the start. During which we get the preamble out of the way. After that, Pringles and Haribo have an outing.

ScottM

When we order out and/or don't plan, it's almost always pizza.  When we plan a little more, it's usually D-hou's (Chinese Food).  Chinese is about twice as expensive, but the real drawbacks are the non-delivery and that one of the group (used to be two) aren't fond of Chinese.

Occasionally I go crazy and cook something up-- often a casserole or enchiladas.  It's appreciated, but since I'm usually host, cleaning/straightening and enjoying a day of sunshine gets priority most of the time.

Desserts though are easy and much appreciated-- I work those in whenever possible.
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Jack Aidley

I don't eat during games. But I can generally be found with a beer, fine old scotch, or glass of wine in my hand when GMing, I tend not to drink when playing though - mostly 'cos I'm driving.
- Jack Aidley, Great Ork Gods, Iron Game Chef (Fantasy): Chanter

W. Don

Balut.

Well, okay, not really. Despite being filipino and living in Manila, I've never actually eaten balut in my entire life (the shame!). But this remains a distinct possibility for many of my playing group friends should the balut vendor pass by. There's also pork rinds (different kinds, ranging from light and fluffy to ultra-tuff ), and tahó (a drink made of syrup and soybean curd). Failing to procure those means we get grilled chicken or, yes, pizza.

- W.

orbsmatt

Do you mean during the game or before / after the game?  I never thought of eating during the game...  That would make for an interesting scene enhancer...

I like it...

Dots are great...
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

clehrich

As a side note, did Cannibal: the RPG ever get off the ground?  If you recall, the food you ate during the game was part of the mechanic, because your characters were cannibals.
Chris Lehrich

orbsmatt

I don't want to know...
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

clehrich

No, come on, it was a great idea.  One of the funniest things about it was this idea that you had to eat things to get power, and you had to pick a food you actually wanted to eat.  Ideally, you had to pick something that you really liked but didn't actually want to eat all that much of.  So as the game went on, you'd be increasingly unwilling to use any power -- i.e. eat people -- because you just couldn't stand eating another whatever.

I thought it would be extra-funny if you had to choose something basically disgusting that you actually liked, like maybe pork rinds or something.  And it wouldn't be one pork rind per act, either -- maybe a whole big-ass handful.  By late in the session you'd be feeling faintly ill and quite guilty, which of course was the point.

What?  Why are you all looking at me that way?
Chris Lehrich

clehrich

You know, home-made cracklings of some kind would be perfect.  In small quantities, a joy; in large quantities, likely to make you vomit.  You could do the same thing with alcohol and drinking blood, a sort of vampire game with a twist, but of course by the end everyone would be so sloshed that you'd have to have a host who'd put everyone up on the couch.  You could do it with big cups of strong coffee or tea, I suppose.  You ever have really far too much coffee, to the point where you start to feel really sick and dizzy?

Now everyone's slowly sidling away and not making eye contact.  Hmm.
Chris Lehrich