News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

When did You 'Belong' to the Forge

Started by hix, April 05, 2004, 09:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottM

I'm still a fringer, mostly by choice.  I love the forge, but I rarely feel that I have anything unique to contribute.  For a while I was proud of my quick "get the big topics" links page (a slow version of search-fu), but it's proved to be handier for me than a boon to others.

Meh-- how about I put it this way.  I get more than I contribute.  It's someone disquieting, since I'm usually fervent about keeping the scales balanced-- so far, I haven't stumbled on a useful contribution to make.

Mmm, too serious for a party. Pass the nachos!
Hey, I'm Scott Martin. I sometimes scribble over on my blog, llamafodder. Some good threads are here: RPG styles.

Daniel Solis

Quote from: Shreyas SampatHow is that going, anyway? It was the awesome.

Thanks! Things have been too crazy busy to really do any game design, but I'm still thinking about it. I was considering changing the title from Gears & Spears to Onica, so as to get across a more myth-y feel. Aside from that, I'm still daunted by how to handle the whole thing.
¡El Luchacabra Vive!
-----------------------
Meatbot Massacre
Giant robot combat. No carbs.

lumpley

I love how it says when did you belong to the Forge, not at the Forge.

I was an uprooted cultie just lookin' for a cult to join.  So I did!

-Vincent

jrs

Yeah, Vincent, there's also this matter of a certain Principle.  You ain't going anywhere.

Julie

Mike Holmes

Many of us were transplants from the discussions originally on The Gaming Outpost.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jason Lee

Belong?!?  And sacrifice my aloofness?  That'll be the day.

Though, all this online discussion has done wounders for my atrocious grammar (I think it's simply bad now).
- Cruciel

Trevis Martin

I realized that I felt I belonged when I read a some blog quite a while ago that refered to Ron as L.Ron Edwards and disparaged the Forge in general.  The depth of my miffed reaction made me realize how much I cared about and self-identified with this place.

regards,

Trevis

RDU Neil

Certainly not yet... but we'll see.
Life is a Game
Neil

GreatWolf

Quote from: Mike HolmesMany of us were transplants from the discussions originally on The Gaming Outpost.

That's how I got here.  So I've been a part of things from the word "Go".

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Anonymous

Came over when Ron suggested I post a couple of stories I told him in the Actual Play forum, which is still my favorite place to hang out.

For that reason, I don't exactly feel like I "belong". Don't get me wrong -- I don't feel unwelcome, or even merely tolerated. I just get lost in or impatient with or have MEGO at all the technical theoretical stuff. I'm not interested in turning my entire way of playing around. I just want to know what I can steal and how I can use it.

-Lisa

Jeph

I "belonged" when I started working on Spin System (which, by the way, still may see a revision and resurrection) and soon after that, Pagoda. Getting posts and e-mails and PMs about stuff you're working on is way cool, and really makes you feel like you're doing something worth while.

--Jeff
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

JamesSterrett

I'm not sure I do fel I "belong", despite having found the site very useful; and, in fact, that's probably a good thing.

The Forge is a forbidding place to newbies.  There's a high level of discussion, and a lot to wade through.  I try not to post unless I'm certain I've got something useful to say.  Half the time I'm probably wrong.  :)

That forbidding feeling is mitigated by the Forge's excellent atmosphere; it isn't a site for flamewars and the usual internet BS.

That forbidding feeling also helps in maintaining the Forge's civilized atmosphere: it's hard to approach it as "just another Internet forum"....

So before somebody feels they have to apologize for my feeling I'm ot quite in the door....  don't.  If any old yahoo could feel at home to rant and rave here, it wouldn't be as worthwhile as it is.