News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Be honest, now

Started by clehrich, April 04, 2004, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiombarg

1. Maybe
2. Nope
3. Never
4. Probably
5. Not on purpose...
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

Mike Holmes

1. I've posted many useless posts, but I don't need a higher count. I've become satisfied that until Ron is no longer a moderator that I'll never be number one. :-)

2. Deliberate flame bait? Snarky, sure. But I]m never looking to create more heat than light.

3. No.

4. Deliberately? No, I pull rank accidentally all the time, however. Sometimes I trip over my own shoes trying not to pull rank. Like how do you tell someone that their game is a heartbreaker and get them to listen to your words and not notice the post count? As for shifting topic, I've done that, sorta. I've always at least been able to rationalize that it was good for the conversation.

5. I've never baited a moderator, nor been baited AFAICT. I see very little of that happening. In fact, I think it's funny how lots of people will fall all over themselves apollogizing after a dressing down from Ron.

I don't think that you can benefit much from bad behavior here, which explains why it's so damned rare.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

hix

1. Posted to get your posts up - Right now.

2. Posted deliberate flame-bait - I'm too scared. The Forge is the only board I really post to, so I've never had to be part of a real flame war yet.

3. Posted a genuine troll - No, but I can see the appeal.

4. Engaged in conversational malice - I was going to say no (too scared, too respectful) but ... yes. When we had a poster wanting feedback on his sit-com pilot, I went declarative sentence over his arse by virtue of having created and written a 26 episode sit-com. And got no feedback / acknowledgement.

5. Moderator baiting - I suspect my first post here was to a long dead TRoS thread about movie influences - but I didn't get snapped for it - for which I'd like to thank Jake and Ron both.

Cheers,
STeve.
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

Dav

1: nah, I try to keep my postings low... I think... maybe.  I dunno, I post on occasion, and in fits and bursts.

2: No.  I've met a few of you, and I tend to forget, however, that until you meet me and realize that I am just a foul-mouthed bastard who tends to just blurt out whatever is floating about his head about a given topic.  Therefore, occasionally, I get a PM from someone (let's call them... Moderators...) telling me that what I've said may be worded in a manner as to be offensive to someone of gentle mind and heart.

3: Nah.

4: No, but if someone's handing out ranks, I want one!  If anything, I try hard to keep any supposed credentials on the down-low.

5: Baiting a moderator?  No, most of them refuse to be baited anyway.  I've had enough debates/discussions/arguments over lunch with Ron to know he rises to nearly no bait.

Dav

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Here's what I want to know.

Has anyone posted to draw my attention and a corrective post by deliberately inserting a known GNS fallacy into their post? Typically it's using "realism" as a synonym or definitional term for Simulationism, or various versions of Director Stance and improvisation for Narrativism.

I have my suspicions, you see.

Best,
Ron

timfire

Here or in general? I respect the Forge alot, so I try and watch myself, while I can't always say the same for other sites.

1. Not really. I sometimes post in bursts when I get bored, but it's not inherently to up my count.
2. Not here...
3. I don't think so...
4. I don't think I've done it here, though I admit I do occasionally try and pull rank elsewhere.
5. I've never tried to bait a moderator, anywhere.
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHey,

Here's what I want to know.

Has anyone posted to draw my attention and a corrective post by deliberately inserting a known GNS fallacy into their post? Typically it's using "realism" as a synonym or definitional term for Simulationism, or various versions of Director Stance and improvisation for Narrativism.

I have my suspicions, you see.

BL>  Being the person who may have struggled with that theory the longest, I'm sure that I did this on many occasions, but never purposefully.  I'm actually happy now when I post about GNS and say "hey, Ron didn't come in and correct me.  I must have gotten it right.  Score!"

Jack Aidley

I don't believe I've done any of these things at the Forge, but I've done most of them elsewhere. I don't think I've ever posted just to boost my total anywhere however.
- Jack Aidley, Great Ork Gods, Iron Game Chef (Fantasy): Chanter

orbsmatt

1. Of course not!!!  Well... maybe sometimes... perhaps... *looks ashamed*
2. Umm... no...
3. Not really.
4. See #1
5. See #4

:)
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

Marhault

In response to Ron's question (even though the answer is pretty obvious).  No.  Never.  In fact, I try to steer clear of GNS most of the time because I still feel like I'm on shaky ground with the whole theory.

Shreyas Sampat

Really.
I don't GNS-bait because it wouldn't do me any good - I don't clearly understand how I can apply the theory to design (because it isn't a design theory), so why muddy the waters with it?

Jason Lee

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHas anyone posted to draw my attention and a corrective post by deliberately inserting a known GNS fallacy into their post? Typically it's using "realism" as a synonym or definitional term for Simulationism, or various versions of Director Stance and improvisation for Narrativism.

Nope.  Though, I've done my fair share of other types of conversation steering in GNS discussions.
- Cruciel