News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Talk amongst you selves..."

Started by DevP, April 06, 2004, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevP

(High-Concept Sim with Narr dirft is neither...)

Actually, it's just that as GM I run out of bloody accents and personalities some times, y'know? And I feel like a single devoted player has the potential to create a richer character than I. Are there any Narr designs that specifically encourage the majority of role-playing to occur between the players, or is this largely a product of Situation?

GreatWolf

WARNING!  SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

I would humbly submit that my game Legends of Alyria fits into this perfectly.  All major characters are played by the players, and the GM plays incidentals.  (Actually, when I run Alyria, I often allow my players to take over incidental characters as well for the reasons that you outline.)

Also, Universalis would probably fit into this category as well.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Mike Holmes

Was it The Hero Emergent concept where players took turns playing the single hero, and othewise were peasants and other characters there to back up the hero?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Michael S. Miller

Although he didn't use it in Orkworld, One of John Wick's Play Dirty columns (in Pyramid) entitled "The Living City" encouraged having players portray the major NPCs and detail the setting through play in the process.

Gotta renew my subscription so I can read those columns again...
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

DevP

Well, this was actually a friend's suggestion - basically inject some MLwM into our otherwise Sim game. Players essentially call for scenes between tow characters, addressing certain relationships. I can imagine a strict jumber of, say, job dice to be earned by somewhat Sim play, but what's REALLY going on (aside from the "plot") is earning resources for some bigger thematic Narr payoff for the session. That might be a thought I should finish out some time.