News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

RPGs that Turned You On over the past year...

Started by Andy Kitkowski, April 06, 2004, 06:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshua neff

Quote from: PakaBurning Wheel has made me want to run vanilla fantasy again.

Same here. And I haven't wanted to do that in a long, long time.

HeroQuest makes me happy in so many ways.

I'm currently digging Clinton's The Shadow of Yesterday in a big, big way.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Judd

Quote from: joshua neff

I'm currently digging Clinton's The Shadow of Yesterday in a big, big way.

What is that?

joshua neff

--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Marhault

Geez. . .  Well, considering I really only discovered the Forge this year. . .

Great Ork Gods, Legends of Alyria, Little Fears, My Life With Master,  Puppetland,  Sorceror, Universalis, Unsung, Wuthering Heights.  Probably a couple others too.

I haven't read all of these, unfortunately, I'll be making a round of purchases this summer!  The ones I have read have jogged my brain into a whole different way of thinking.

Muggins

Riddle of Steel, far and away. Give me the space I want while still giving me the mechanics I need to really rev the tension up.

Talislanta, because more story hooks one could never want!

James

GreatWolf

Hmm.  Robots & Rapiers, although I haven't strictly played it yet.  (But I wants to, my precious, yes.)  And I was struck by My Life with Master, which held its own in actual play.  Heartwrenching, it was.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Lisa Padol

What's Shadows?

For me, hm... I love UA 2nd edition, but I got that over a year ago.

Definitely My Life With Master. I think this was my hands down favorite this year.
Sword and Sorcerer, which turned me on to some great fiction.
Sex and Sorcery.
Oddly, Dark Inheritance. Uses d20, which I don't favor, and has the Too Much Stuff Syndrome. But it had a bunch of cool ideas I can use, and it has a decent explanation of why certain features are there. (Or maybe that came from the guy selling it -- either way, I like getting the explanation.)
I, Mordred -- I did my dissertation on modern Arthuriana, and this was a lot of fun to read.
Deliria, the most gorgeous item in the GenCon Exhibit Hall.
Fates Worse than Death -- still reading this one. Absurd, absurd premises, but tons of cool, cool stealable stuff.
To Go -- damned good supplement for UA, which I want both to run straight and to steal bits of for my current game.
Shadow Knight -- Lots of interesting stuff about the Zelazny characters as if they were being run as PCs, with insights into the decisions the players made. I don't agree with everything, but it makes me think.
2nd edition Tribe 8 Players Handbook, which actually explains the friggin metaplot

Definite turn off -- recent Chaosium CoC products with gratuitous bugs. I'm an arachnaphobe and not fond of other insects. I don't object to bug pictures when it's got something to do with the scenario or setting, but it doesn't. It's especially heinous in the new Kingsport, which isn't supposed to have that kind of atmosphere.

-Lisa

Spooky Fanboy

Anything written by Ron Edwards. The man is a genius at setting up "templates" in the guise of RPGs which allow you to graft ideas onto them and use the games as engines of creation. The mark of genius: in no way do they seem (nor are they) the least bit "generic"; these games have certain styles and ideas built into them on a genetic level, which almost subliminally direct and keep the games on track. As far as his efforts to expand what RPGs can do and be in their own right, Ron is the Harlan Ellison of roleplaying. Sorcerer and Trollbabe are the best examples of this. The only other game I've seen come close is Heroquest.

Paul Czege's My Life with Masterand Nicotine Girls display how you can mine gold out of a narrow focus (Minions of a cruel Master, young economically-challenged women trying to pursue their dreams) and create diverse, rich characters and play. What at first seems almost like rules for a boardgame yields surprising diversity. That is Paul's patented brand of genius, although to be fair, Zak Arnston's game Heavy Metal Opera gives Paul a run for the patent.

Legends of Alyria and Talislanta, two wildly different games, show you what fantasy gaming is all about: passion and imagination. These games are so brilliant in their own ways that you'd have to be totally disconnected from them to have a bad game playing them, their brilliance and enthusiasm is that contagious. (And I eagerly await Legends making it to full print status.)

Deliria, by Phil Brucato, is the game he always wanted to make, and it shows. Love of subject, broad in scope, a baroque and colorful sandbox to play in and lose yourself for hours. Yes, the mechanics are a little too loose in some places, but Phil always was one for letting the needs of the Drama supersede structure, and I can't help but forgive him. It's the same feeling that The Last Exodus gave me.  

If I make one game as good as any of these, I'll consider myself worthy.
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!

Rich Stokes

liked:

HeroQuest - everything has already been said about this, can't think of anything to add

Mechanical Dream - Not sure this was last year, but really cool setting and rules which basically work, but aren't anything special.

Wushu - Cool.  Silly.  Fun.  Works for me.

Loved:

Donjon - Again, prolly not last year per-se, but I discovered it recently.  

Burning Wheel - As someone else pointed out, this makes me actually want to run a "proper" fantasy game for the first time in 15 years.

MLWM - Haven't really gotten to play this properly, just biding my time until I can get the right group together....
The poster previously known as RichKS

Anonymous

I'll continue the Burning Wheel love fest.  It clicked in a big way for me.  For evocative fantasy with a lots of focus on exploration of character, this is my system of choice.

Conversely, when I'm in the mood for "little things, hitting each other", I've derived an immense amount of satisfaction from Savage Worlds.  Large scale mayhem, with just enough crunch to satisfy.

And Danger Patrol.  I long for it to be released on an unsuspecting world.  Damn you Harper!  Write faster, Monkey Boy!

rafial

Foo.  I'd like to take credit for the previous post, before Al Qaeda does.