News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Favorite Board Games?

Started by Christopher Weeks, April 05, 2004, 04:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orbsmatt

Quote from: quozl
Quote from: orbsmattJunior Monopoly.  *looks around ashamed...*

At least tell us why you like Junior Monopoly.  Educate those of us who've never tried it because of the "Junior" in the title.

Well..  I don't actually enjoy Junior Monopoly *cough* that much *cough*.  It's basically a dumbed down version of real monopoly.
Matthew Glanfield
http://www.randomrpg.com" target="_blank">Random RPG Idea Generator - The GMs source for random campaign ideas

Peter Nordstrand

Let me take the opportunity to push a wonderful little card game called "Spank the Monkey" which not at all about ... well, you know ... Instead it is about a monkey in a junkyard. The first player to successfully spank the monkey wins. It is easy to learn, and a lot of fun!

Check out the rules at http://www.gigantoskop.se.

Cheers,

/Peter N
Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
     —Grey's Law

Christopher Weeks

Quote from: Peter Nordstrandgame called "Spank the Monkey" which not at all about ... well, you know ... Instead it is about a monkey in a junkyard.

I'm not sure I buy it.  If I'm not mistaken, that monkey is reaching between his legs and holding at least one of his nuts.  And what's up with that illustration of his belly?  Distinctly unsavory :-)

JamesSterrett

I'm struck by the near-total absence of wargames from this list; so I suppose I should pipe up as the designated outcast....

I'm deeply involved in helping make Attack Vector: Tactical, a 3D Newtonian-physics space combat boardgame;

and am a big fan of, among others,

The Gamers' Operational Combat Series [WW2 operations]

and

Air & Armor by West End.

Brian Leybourne

Risk 2210
A Game of Thrones boardgame
Warcraft
and of course "Zombies!!!" which is a great beer 'n chips kind of game.

Civilisation is OK, except who has 8 hours to play the thing every time.

Cosmic Encounter is an old classic (but only when you play it with at least 3 alien powers each, with random power swapping and shuffling, heh)

The Lord of the Rings cooperative boardgame is pretty neat too.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Jack Aidley

Quote from: Mike HolmesHow so? I find Civ to be a very tight game. I have friends involved in the map expansion projects, and we recently played an 11 player game (the map will accept up to 14, in theory) at a little con we ran. I'd put it in my top five games.

Last time we played I adopted a strategy I dubbed "The Bouncy City Strategy" by building masses of cities I could not support to get lots of extra resources. I thought that was rather an abuse of the rules, but it seemed to work.
- Jack Aidley, Great Ork Gods, Iron Game Chef (Fantasy): Chanter