News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Family

Started by Marhault, April 07, 2004, 01:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marhault

It's a little late, but I just thought of a good thread topic.  Who all is married, has kids, that sort of thing?  A few people are pretty open about this sort of thing, but what about the rest of you?

I myself am married, with no kids or plans for them in the forseeable future.

Christopher Weeks

I was just thinking about starting this thread, good on ya.  I have a wife (seven years in thirteen days).  I have a nine year old son and a two year old daughter.  I have five cats.  I have two Guinnea fowl.

I'm not making any more kids, but we might foster or adopt.

Chris

joshua neff

I have a fiancee, Julie (who has posted here from time to time, but mostly avoids the Internet). We're getting married sometime around the end of May. Julie has a 7 year old daughter, Morgan, who I will adopt after we get married. Morgan now calls me dad.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Lxndr

I have a girlfriend, and what might be more or less termed a "harem".  It's really weird trying to explain it, so I won't.  Suffice it to say, it generally works for the group of us.

I have a vasectomy, and no plans to ever produce children.  Adoption might happen if I ever marry (although I might never marry out of protest, especially if the whole gay thing keeps going the way it is), and I'd consider fostering, but I will never, ever add to the population of this world.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Ron Edwards

Hey,

I'm married, with no kids. I have a bevy of siblings and step-siblings and [other]-siblings, all older than me, almost all of whom have children. My only surviving parent is my mom (I had a dad and step-dad).

Pets seem to have sneaked their way into the discussion; Cecilia and I own one cat and mourn our now deceased pets: one Alaskan malamute, one corn snake.

Best,
Ron

Marhault

Hey!  I forgot to include my pets!  Good thinking.  I have three cats one dog and one hamster.

quozl

I've been married for almost 11 years now and we were pretty much set on not having kids.  After a while, we softened on the idea and then after my sister died, we went for it.  My beautiful daughter will be 3 in July.
--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

GreatWolf

Most of you already know this, but hey....

I am married (7 years this June), with four children (ages 6, 4, nearly 3, and 2 mos.) and no real plans of stopping.   (Why yes, it is a religious conviction.  ;-] )*

Pets?  Um, well, we do have pets, including one highly obnoxious dog, but I'm not really an animal person.  (I have a couple of freshwater aquariums, but they are primarily for decoration.)

Oh, by the way, I'm 26.  Been a busy few years.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

*A frequent question that is asked of folk with lots of kids is "You know, they know what causes that now."  The best response that I've heard is, "Yes, but my wife and I are dedicated to further research."
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

John Kim

Married for 6 years now, with a 4-year-old son.  My wife has posted here occaisionally and written some, but is more involved with her poetry and translation work.  

Apropos RPGs, having a kid around definitely changed the nature of role-playing.  It means being a lot more tolerant of distractions.  And yet my games have gotten stronger, I think.
- John

Matt Wilson

I'm getting married in a couple months. I don't think we'll ever make a kid, due in part to certain political beliefs.

But we do have two annoying cats and a really cool dog.

Lxndr

Pets:  Well, my mom lives with me (pays rent and all)...

...and she brought the family dog, a wonderful little 11-year-old Chihuahua who's the sweetest little thing.  She's got cataracts now, though, and bumps into things or can't find her way around.  It's really sort of sad, but she still seems happy.

No pets of my own.  My new tenant (who also pays rent, in theory) brought in three cats - who have a love/hate relationship with my poor blind chihuahua, who's much smaller than they are.

I want to own a snake one day.  But I hear they're tough to take care of.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Chris Passeno

I've been married for 13 years now, with two sons, a 6 year old and a 4 month old.

As for pets, well, we have a pain-in-the-ass 12 year old cat who's been on his last legs for a number of years now.

Keith Senkowski

I've been married one year now.  We have two cats (Thelma and Louise), two tanks of fish.  I have a small family (parents, brother, sister, 3 grandparents and a few estranged aunts, uncles, and cousins), but my wife has one of those stereotypical Irish clans from Chicago with more relatives than you can shake a stick at.  Plans for kids in the next year or two (house first).

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Matt Snyder

I, too, will be married 7 years this summer. (There must have been something in the water in 1997, eh Seth?) I've been with my wife, Canada, for over 11 years now -- high school sweethearts and all that.

We have a loquacious little 3-year-old daughter named Kate. She's the greatest joy in our lives. And, Canada is currenty 37 weeks pregnant (40 weeks is term -- it's getting interesting at our house!). We think it'll be a boy. Our "scientific" guess is about as reliable as flipping a quarter (go figure!). Our boy name: Riggen David Snyder. Our girl name: Isabel Sarah Snyder.

Oh yeah, we have a border collie named Marlow, who needs much more room to run than I can give him, alas.

We also have lots of family in and around our hometown. My side of the family amounts to three generations with a head count around 22! Canada's is smaller -- her folks and two sisters, one of which is married and has with three boys.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

coxcomb

Married with two cats (Aramis and Porthos). Children are still at the pre-glint-in-the-eye stage.
Jay Loomis
Coxcomb Games
Check out my http://bigd12.blogspot.com">blog.