News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Questions about Magic.

Started by The Heretic, April 08, 2004, 03:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Heretic

What is the difference between using Imprisonment to trap a demon inside a person and using Conquer?

Personally, I think that imprisoning Spirits, Demons or Spells should always be done with Imprisonment, no matter if they are imprisoned in a person or an object. (Imprisonment or Conquer 3)

When creating Dormant spells, the book uses Conquer3, even when trapping the spell inside an object. Is this a mechanical issue? Many Imprisonment effects require an expenditure of SP or SA to work, while Conquer does not.

Should I use Imprisonment 3 without additional SA or SP costs to create all Dormant spells? I think it is more intuitive.
If Conquer is used to create Dormant spells, how is Imprisonment/Magic used?

Another Question:

How am I supposed to summon a demon (summon 3) and permanently Imprison it with the same spell? The SA costs make it impossible. Am I missing something? Also, if you cast a summoning or imprisonment spell with cooperation, who pays the SA or SP cost? Who has to perform the service? Is the expenditure divided among the participants? Must everybody pay? Who has to perform the service for summoning a spirit?

Thanks for your answers and for your time.

A.S.

Lance D. Allen

I'm with you on these. Here's my call, take it as you will:

Conquer is used only for living beings with a mind. As the being can resist with willpower, conquer is the logical choice. Be kind of ugly to see what would happen if you failed to implant a demon, though...

For objects, use Imprison. The additional cost is because the object has no will or anima to power the spell or trap the spirit or demon within it. The sorcerer must supply this himself.

As for summoning demons and spirits.. I would only apply the cost (SA or services) if you wish the demon or spirit to obey you when summoned. I consider it somewhat of a pact between the sorcerer and the summoned entity.. In return for service A, the entity gets reward B. Bugger that the rules say differently. It's the only way that makes sense to me. If you want to bend the demon or spirit to your will without paying their cost, use Conquer. These entities do have WP ratings, after all. Failure, or the eventual breaking of your domination spell could leave a pissed off demon or spirit seeking revenge, though. However, normal SA/SP costs for imprisonment are in effect, for the reasons given prior.

That is my slant. Take it or leave it, but I hope it was helpful.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls