News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

MLwM Online?

Started by DannyK, April 09, 2004, 02:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyK

OK, after hearing good stuff about the game, and reading some of the posts in this forum, I'm very interested.  If anyone is still reading this forum...

Do you think the game would by PbP or PBEM?  I think I'd enjoy running it, but I can only play online these days.  

Also, are there any of the hardbound versions left for sale?

Danny

Trevis Martin

Considering the turn structure is pretty tight I think it would work very well online.  We played a brief game on IRC in indie-netgaming and it worked out pretty well, aside from scheduling conflicts.

--Trevis

Paul Czege

Hey Danny,

Also, are there any of the hardbound versions left for sale?

You didn't mean hardbound=hardcover...you meant hardbound=hardcopy, right? Well just in case, let me clarify that the game has never been anything but softcover. And yes, the softcover print edition of the game is currently available for purchase via PayPal buttons at the website. Start http://www.halfmeme.com/master.html">here, and click on the "How to Buy" link on the lower right.

Thanks,

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

DannyK

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I just don't care for PDF's.

Paul, I assume you've played all kinds of MLwM, have you tried playing it asynchronously online?  I think the player-authorship part of it would work really well, but I'm not sure about the emotional intensity.  

Danny

Paul Czege

Hey Danny,

I have only played the game face-to-face. And I think you're right, asynchronously via text missives it would lack a great deal of the emotional intensity of a face-to-face game. But on the other hand, with the possible exception of De Profundis I can't imagine another game producing a more engaging and readable unreconstructed "log" of actual play.

Paul
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

DannyK

Today is payday... I'll order it and let you know how it works out.

Mike Holmes

I've played MLWM via IRC, and I think it worked pretty well. The only problem that I saw was that the minions tending to have their own scenes, and the slowness of IRC meant that you had to wait a looong time between each and every scene. Other than that, the game didn't complete, but what play we had was pretty spectacular.

Where I think MLWM would really shine would be in PBEM. The scene breakdown and "turn" nature would be perfect for PBEM. There would never be a question of who was expected to respond when, and you'd have a flurry of activity on your turn followed by a bunch of reading in between. Neat.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

DannyK

Hey, I got my copy!  Pretty little book.  The title was slightly embarassing to explain to my non-gamer wife (not as bad as Trollbabe, but still).
The style reminds me a bit of Sorcerer -- it's like beef jerky, tons of flavor and lots of nutrition, but it takes some chewing on first.  The example of play in the back is very helpful.  It's probably the most "far-out" game I've ever read that I really want to run -- I'm still absorbing things like the climactic battle with the Master being adjudicated on the basis of a single roll.  As far as I can tell, all the business of neutralizing the Master's hounds, silencing the alarm bell, fighting him with ceremonial daggers in the throne room, it's all a special effect based on the outcome of that roll of the dice.  

I know this is probably not a big deal for hardened Forgeites, but it's stunning for me.  No health levels!  No roll to hit!  No tactics!  You can tell by my use of italics how amazed I am.  

I am also very psyched about running this game.  Could some helpful soul point me to some "game prep for MLwM" threads?

Paul Czege

Hey Danny,

I'm still absorbing things like the climactic battle with the Master being adjudicated on the basis of a single roll. As far as I can tell, all the business of neutralizing the Master's hounds, silencing the alarm bell, fighting him with ceremonial daggers in the throne room, it's all a special effect based on the outcome of that roll of the dice.

Well...it actually may and often does take several rolls by the minion who initiated Endgame before the Master is finally dead, with each unsuccessful roll necessitating the player of that minion and the GM roleplaying out how and why the conflict continues. So a series of scenes where the rebellious minion's deadly hand is delayed from its intented target by guardian creatures and whatnot is wholly within the scope of what can happen. The demise of the Master is actually the most granular conflict in the game.

Paul

Nev the Deranged

I don't think there's such a thing as "prep" in the classic sense in MLwM. It's all done in-game with the players. At most I can see someone coming up with an interesting Master and then asking if the players want to go with it.

As for PBeM play, I'm up for it if anyone else is. There's little to no chance of getting any of my local players to try it, it's too far out both thematically and mechanically. And my local players are wusses. I don't really have the time to devote to IRC play, but if anyone wants to fire up some PBeM action, I'm game. I'd really like to at least play MLwM once before the con so I can get a good feel for it.