News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Online gaming

Started by Arashi, April 22, 2004, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arashi

Well, it seems as though I have a hard time finding playersAt least the players that want to play what I do...So I was thinking about maybe a nrrative type game through email.
Has anyone had experience with this? I imagine the narrative style would work well...Like a free form story, but i have not had any experience with it.

C!

TonyLB

Some things work well, some things (IME) don't.

The thing I perceive (though I'm sure others will have other areas to discuss) is the Asynchronous play of most any type is more or less slow.

This can be a good and a bad thing.  Any face-to-face technique that counts on a visceral sense of pacing, or a quick interplay or wit, may have trouble with the transition.  

Some techniques work better.  In particular I find that aggressive scene framing is comparatively easy to achieve in an asynchronous medium.  Being able to take 60 seconds at each interplay and think to yourself "Is this scene over?" helps to keep things rolling.  And, of course, you can take an hour (if you want) figuring out where the next scene should logically pick up.

And that's what I've got.  Perhaps someone else can discuss what a near-complete lack of unconscious social cues does to ones ability to create a social contract that works.  I don't have the skills to do the topic justice.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Christopher Weeks

If you want to dive right in, buy Universalis and come over to The Universalis Arena and play with us.  It's probably the easiest way to start learning about it.

Chris