Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 08:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 82 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Aaarrgggh, but great  (Read 2315 times)
Ian O'Rourke

« on: December 30, 2001, 06:28:00 AM »

Am I the only one who read Hero Wars and felt that, just beyond their perception that it was something great, but just could not pull it all together due to the way the rulebook is written/organised.

I think it could be the system for an epic fantasy game I want to run (but not Gloranthan).

Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.
Uncle Dark

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2001, 11:45:00 AM »

Ian,

You are not alone.  I, too, was (and still am) incredibly frustrated with the way the book is written.  I would not understand it half so well as I do had I not been able to discuss it here.

It is a great system, especially for epic fantasy.  Ask questions, slog through it, and hope that the second edition is better written.

Lon

Reality is what you can get away with.
Bankuei
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2001, 03:06:00 PM »

I love the system,  but you're right, the layout and presentation left me confused and in pain.  I'm the same guy who figured out Rolemaster's resolution mechanic in 10 minutes(despite another bad layout), but Hero Wars took me over half an hour to find the various "parts" that described basic gameplay.

I really hope a revised edition comes out....It's hard to convince other people to play a game when reading the rules is like home decorating for Cthulu(hey, the geometry isn't right....)

Chris
Uncle Dark

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »

A second editon is in the works.  Check out   their page for details.

Lon

Reality is what you can get away with.
Ian O'Rourke

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2002, 01:44:00 AM »

Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: