News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Birthright via Sorcerer

Started by Judd, May 07, 2004, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyK

Neat idea.  I wonder if it might work better to have each player be the head of a feudal barony, a la A Game of Thrones , all scheming to put their guy on the throne.  

Were you planning to make some rules to simulate warfare, though?  Let's say I'm playing the Duke of Dundreary, and I send a Demon (in the form of a mercenary captain and his band of scoundrels) across the border to the next player's territory to kill peasants and screw up the harvest.  Sort of like the Contras in Nicaragua, back in the 80's.  

Does this have any direct mechanical effect on the other character, or should it be entirely resolved by GM fiat?

Also, as a student of history, I'll say that I kinda like the idea of Humanity=Stately Glory.   Screw domestic happiness.  

Also, add to your bibliography the book "Daughter of Time", by Josephine Tey.  The best historical mystery ever written, and a superb investigation of what it means to be a good king.

Michael S. Miller

Quote from: DannyKAlso, as a student of history, I'll say that I kinda like the idea of Humanity=Stately Glory.   Screw domestic happiness.

Sory, Danny, but I have to disagree with this. I don't disagree with the general point that history and kingship is focused on Stately Glory rather than domestic happiness. I think that's true. But we're talking Sorcerer here, not the Role-Playing Game of Political Science.

Demons are opposed to Humanity. Always. If Humanity and Demons point to the same thing (which I think a Humanity definition of "Stately Glory" does) then the primary thematic conflict of the game is gone. Poof. Up in smoke.

As with any Sorcerer game, nailing down the definition of Humanity is vital. Everything else flows from it. Earlier in the thread,

Quote from: Brand RobbinsAlthough, in that case I'd probably rate Humanity as something closer to the ability to balance the needs of justice/the people with the needs of power/security/personal glory. Someone with a high Humanity is a benevolent ruler who lives in harmony with the people, someone will a low Humanity is becoming a tyrant/demagogue/butcher who will do anything to maintain control.

This is a good start. I can't recall the name of the author I read back in grad school, but he identified two principles of governance throughout the history of Western Civilization: the Continental Principle and (IIRC) the Insular Principle.

The Continental Principle was epitomized by Sparta, 16th-century Spain (and the Hapsburgs in general), Napolean's France, Nazi Germany, and the USSR. It emphasizes the State over the individual, focuses on centralized control, and so forth.

The Insular Principle was epitomized by Athens, Venice, the 17th-century Netherlands, 18th to 20th-century England, and the 20th-century United States. It emphasizes empowerment of the individual, a culture that acts as a gateway between Europe and the rest of the world, and an openness in its internal affairs.

This guy's thesis was that the Insular Principle usually wins out. So, you could use these two principles as a Dual Humanity definition, or just use the Insular as the single Humanity definition, so, for example, acts of repression will keep opponents in line but trigger a Humanity Check.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Michael S. Miller

Quote from: Mike HolmesBinding - the outcome of diplomacy, treaties
Pacting - uh, pacts
Punish - economic sanctions

Very cool ideas, Mike. I think to keep the flavor of Binding different than Pacting, and to keep this deeper in role-playing territory (rather than wargame drift) that in this demons-are-other-nations version, Binding must include a political marriage. That's what makes Binding a relationship, and Pacts just a deal.

Also, Punish could be seen as the results of "limited warfare" that was practiced extensively throughout Europe up until the late 19th century. "I reduce your Power by ordering my troops to sieze Alsance-Lorraine!"

God, I need to play this game.
Serial Homicide Unit Hunt down a killer!
Incarnadine Press--The Redder, the Better!

Judd

Quote from: Michael S. MillerGod, I need to play this game.

Throw together some descriptors, get together with two or three gamers and a blank map, create a small group of politically inter-connected kingdoms and let the greater part of the history and the world come out in play.

Please post an Actual Play.

Go!

Play!