News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Starting Local Role-Playing Club--Need Advice on Newsletter

Started by Roy, May 09, 2004, 02:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

I'm starting a local role-playing club, as described in this thread.

To promote the club, I'm going to give away a free newsletter through the local game shops.  Nothing fancy, just a 4-page newsletter (11" X 17", printed double-side, folded in middle).

My questions are:
(1) What content would you find interesting as a role-player?
(2) What content should I include to bring new people into our hobby?
(3) What's your favorite definition of what a role-playing game is?*

* Concerning #3:  I would like to give a good definition so the local game stores can point interested people to the newsletter, and the club.

Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated.

Roy

Roy

I've just posted a new thread on the goals for the club and the methods I intend to use to achieve them.  The thread is here:  Starting A Local Role-Playing Club -- Goals and Methods.

Please read it and offer any suggestions, additions, or corrections you may have.  I need all the help I can get.  

Roy

Mike Holmes

I've said that I don't think that 2 is useful, and 3 only insamuch as it helps somebody describe what RPGs are to others. As a "handout" to the public I don't think it's of much use.

As for content for members, well obviously games being played is critical. In fact, I'd monitor all games associated with the club, and have stats on sessions played, who is playing, maybe synopses - anything to get people interested in the games in question. And most importantly which have openings, or are starting up, etc. Make each GM feel that his game is special.

Then the usual club news, especially social events, and seminars. And follow ups of events that happened recently.

Then have club members write articles. Maybe a spotlight on one game system, or game being played. Nothing extensive, just get people involved in the publicaiton besides yourself.

Just a few ideas off the top.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Roy

Thanks for the tips, Mike.  They were very helpful.  

Roy