News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ok I got my game design figured out

Started by Chaopsychotic, May 24, 2004, 09:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaopsychotic

Hello everyone. I had posted a while back with not much done and said I was gonna go free flow. And had gotten some good advice to set my ideas down before I got to work.

So what I decided on was a skill based game that would be very customizable in terms of characters. I am planning to have about 15 humanoid main races with up to 5 subraces for each main race to choose from. As for the skill system I am making it also very customizable. You can pick the range, targeted area, whether it is offensive or defensive and a bunch of other variables. As with this sort of complexity and rules involving skill creation I am keeping this on the computer.

As for the gameplay. The battle systems will be like Final Fantasy tactics in which you have a battlefield like a board and you can move around. However I dont plan on putting in invisible walls in the battlefield like in FFT. Also I am going to start this off as a single player CRPG in which there is a main plot to follow and the typical single player gameplay. With the one exception in that your allies will be controlled by AI.

After I can get that system set up I am going to try and figure out how to make it into an MMORPG. This will hopefully be simple enough since I am making this object oriented. But this is for a later project and right now I am simply working on programming the Single Player CRPG.

That pretty much sums up what I have right now. As you can see the main thing I am trying to implement is complete customability with characters so no two people can be completally alike. Hopefully it will turn out like I plan it too. I will be sure to keep the forum updated on how it is coming/

Sincerely,
Gabbie

F. Scott Banks

Funny you should mention that...

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.  I know firsthand how hard it is to program a MMORPG.  It's also good that you're designing the RPG prior to making the game.  Most people do it the other way around and find that they've got a computer program that has no idea what to do.

As far as a system that allows for the kind of full customization of individual characters in a MMORPG, I've already worked out a few of those kinks for my own engine.  If you have a specific problem you're trying to solve, post it and we can see how to solve it within your own game's ruleset.

In the meantime, see if this thread solves any of the problems you have...

http://indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=11297

in it, we're trying to smooth out the wrinkles that happen when you make a MMORPG from an RPG.  I'll spare you the usual pessimistic stuff you'll hear, but know that you've got a lot of work on your hands.

Good luck.

- Wyld -

West Siiiiiiiide!!!!