News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Akira Kurowsawa

Started by Tash, May 13, 2004, 11:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tash

After the recent mention of Hidden Fortress in a thread on these boards I decided I needed to see some more of this director's work (I've only seen Seven Samurai).  So today I ordered a nice looking 4 DVD box set which includes the above two films as well as Yojimbo and Sanjuro.

Kurosawa Marathon at my house in a week or so :)
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Valamir

Here's a fun trick

Watch Yojimbo and Fist Full of Dollars back to back.

I'd always known that FFoD was inspired by Yojimbo, but inspired is too mild a term.  It is almost scene by scene identical.  

Magnificent Seven was heavily influenced by Seven Samurai, but FFoD is a down right carbon copy of Yojimbo.

Malechi

Yojimbo, followed by FFOD followed by Last Man Standing ;)
Katanapunk...The Riddle of Midnight... http://members.westnet.com.au/manji/

Tash

Doesn't FFoD actually thank Kurosawa in its closing credits?  Anyway I'd like to state for the record that a Katana is WAY cooler than a revolver.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Valamir

yeah it does thank him...but that's not quite the same as saying "we lifted every word in the script" from him.

And no.  Revolvers are far cooler than katanas.  And gunslingers are way cooler than samurai.  Course, Kurusawa knew that which is why he gave the coolest, smartest, meanest badguy a revolver and all the silly little thugs had katanas...or a really big mallet :-)

Uber_Munchkin

I would highly recommend that you check out the movie Ran.  It has just been released in Europe on 2 DVD Special edition, I'm not sure what it's status in the US.  Basically it's Akira Kurosawa doing King Lear but set in the Japanese time of warring states.
'I made a god out of blood not superiority,
I killed the king of deceit,
wake me up in anarchy.'

-- KMFDM - Anarchy

Mike Holmes

Ran is awesome. I mean truely awesome.

If you do see it, get the largest screen you possibly can. Rent a theater if you can. Kurasawa's panoramic scenes are breathtaking. The battle shots are beyond explanation in terms of being impressive.

Uh, before you do the three identical movies above, you may want to read the Ray Chandler novel from which Yojimbo is taken, too, just to be thorough.

There, I've established my Uber-geekdom for the day. :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Malechi

the opening scenes of "Ran" are particularly cool widescreen and with your volume turned up loud...
I think it was also Kurosawa who did "Throne of Blood", the Macbeth adaptation?  I thought it was pretty good too..

I just saw Takeshi Kitano's version of Zatoichi and I must say I'm impressed.  Some minor cgi hiccups aside, I thought the story was quite delicately woven together and as usual Kitano's use of music was superb.  

Even though its not related to Samurai etc.. check out Kurosawa's "Dreams" for some surreal goodness :)

cheers

Jason K.
Katanapunk...The Riddle of Midnight... http://members.westnet.com.au/manji/

Lance D. Allen

I've seen Ran, in highschool.

Had it been dubbed, I might have enjoyed it, but I thoroughly dislike subtitled movies.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jake Norwood

Dislike subtitles? Well, whaddya expect from a guardsman...

Throne of Blood is very good. The final scene is one of the most balls-out displays of archery (10' away or not) I've ever seen. Mifune had to be a trusting man. I'm also a huge fan of Rashomon, which was Kursawa's "breakthrough" film.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Bankuei

Hi Jake,

Check out "The Emperor and the Wolf", a great book about Kurosawa and Mifune.  In it, Mifune explains the scene was done with hollow arrows shot on wires to hit him.  But they were REAL arrows.  yeeks!  Also, the climax to Seven Samurai was shot in the winter... Rain machines, farmer thongs plus cold, cold weather!!!

Scary stuff.

Chris

ZenDog

Kagemusha is another great Kurosawa flick, worth checking out full colour very lush.

Sanjero and seven Samurai are my favs though I do like Rashomon too.

Tash

I already have several freinds lined up for Kurosawa night, we are wathcing all 4 movies in one night once they arrive.

tetsujin28

And Yojimbo is the only decent version of Hammett's Red Harvest.
Now with cheese!

Valthalion

OK

You've piqued my curiosity

I am searching the net for the DVDs

Valthalion
Knight Against Chaos
Ours is to choose what to do with the time we have been given

Gandalf