News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] Thanks for the kick

Started by Per Fischer, June 10, 2004, 05:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Per Fischer

I got a copy of Sorcerer last week, read it, and boy, that was a kick in the head. It brought my belief that roleplaying isn't a waste of time after all back to me. Thanks. I immediately reviewed it for my "local" rpg site in Denmark (I live in Scotland, but am originally from Denmark, and still very attached to the roleplaying community there), giving it top marks. Sorcerer is next to unknown in Denmark. When I asked the largest RPG shop, who sells the books, they had not checked it out because they didn't like the cover on Sex & Sorcery. I hope that's changed now.

I then started to search through the Forge's incredible collection of knowledge. It's fantastic. Trying to get my head round the glossary and Big Model and all, and have begun again to discuss why we roleplay on my old RP forum.

Then Sorcerer's Soul and Sword & Sorcery arrived today, and I'm speechless. Why these books are not selling faster than anything else is a shame. The Sorcerer "omnibus" (I haven't bought Sex&Sorcery yet, but how can I refuse?) is for roleplaying what Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics was for comics: inevitable.

I stopped writing scenarios in 2001. Now I know why most of them didn't work ("extensive fiction dressed up in game mechanics" - hey, that's one of my scenarios). Now my head is brimming with ideas, and I am writing again.

I guess I just wanted to say thanks. To Ron. And the rest of the Forge regulars. If there's anything you want in return, please say so :)

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Ron Edwards

Hello Per,

With a post like that, the only things I can say are You're Welcome and Thank You, all at once.

Here are my requests for you:

1. The link to your review, so I can post it at the website.

2. The name of the store, so I can include them on the retailer locator part of the site.

3. Read lots of posts and threads here at the Forge about actual play, so you can be ready to run some good Sorcerer games when the time comes. Ask about anything you'd like.

Best,
Ron

Per Fischer

Quote from: Ron Edwards
Here are my requests for you:

1. The link to your review, so I can post it at the website.

2. The name of the store, so I can include them on the retailer locator part of the site.

3. Read lots of posts and threads here at the Forge about actual play, so you can be ready to run some good Sorcerer games when the time comes. Ask about anything you'd like.

The review is here: http://www.rpgforum.dk/mod-perl/rpgforum.pl?cmd=showarticle&id=8505
It's in Danish, I'm afraid.

The retailer is Fantask: http://www.fantask.com/

I am already reading Actual Play like mad, and the posts about the Art Deco Melodrama are superb. You mentioned somewhere that you were working on a "This is roleplaying..." book. Is that still in the works?

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.