News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A Followup To How I Got Into Role-Playing...

Started by Jeph, May 16, 2004, 02:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeph

Some of you may remember this thread from a while back. In it, I describe how I started in on the role-playing hobby, and talk a bit about the psuedo-D&D that my friends and I played.

Well, I've taken the extensive social contract that we used during those games, distilled it, refined it, elaborated a bit, and filled in the gaps I can't remember. You can find it here. By pure coincidence, it also turns out to be my first game meant to be played Live Action, and my first system without a randomizer... although you can't really call it "mine." I think Sam is responsible for more of it than anyone else, as he ran all of our early games.

So, what do you think? I've tried to incorporate elements of old skool D&D as well as playground nostalgia. Do you think I've succeeded? What would help me reach these goals better, without too blatantly altering the rules by which we used to play?

Thanks,
--Jeff
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

Argetlamh

That first paragraph of the PDF makes me feel old. I'll let you know more once I've had time to read it.

-Dan Vince
Dan Vince

Pagrin

While I haven't read the PDF yet, I did read the other tread, and much like Argetlamh, I now feel a little old.
When the D&D movie came out I had not played D&D ina great many years, because I had moved on to other systems and formats. However it was a movie which first braught D&D to my attention and indead it was the first true RPG I played.
I had just read the novel of ET, in which the boys are playing a game where Elliot uses a portable hole to hide from some goblins. This peaked my interest because of the complex rules being described.
2 weeks latter I had gotten D&D basic set (Not AD&D, not 2nd ed. But in fact the original two book D&D.) In it was a rule book and an adventure (B2 Keep on the borderlands). A short time after that I started working after school at the place I got the game from.
So it seems the more things change the more thay stay the same.
Have fun and good gaming.
Pagrin :-)
When in doubt....Cheat!