News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[God Lore] Simulationism? Further Evaluation/Assistance

Started by Asrogoth, May 13, 2004, 12:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asrogoth

Okay...

One of the major comments I took from Mike's review of God Lore:  The Chronicles of The Immortals (link here) was that he wondered what the Immortals actually did.

Here are the links to what I've posted (thank you Walt!)...

final, Part One
final, Part Two
final, Part Three
final, Part Four
Addendum

Now, Mike's question is a great one, and I intend to further explore it, but I propose that what I had (unintentionally) desired was for the game to be Simulationist-minded and for the Players to take on the role of Immortals and explore their world while trying to advance within the hierarchy of the gods.

So, I ask... what do I need to do to promote more "Simulationist" play?  I also see this game as being open to some gamist tendencies (which I think of as a good thing -- to have fighting fun!), as well as the ability to be quite narrativistic.  I don't know if that means the game is abashed or anything else.

What I'm striving to accomplish is to have a game that can be enjoyed on many levels where Players masquerade as gods and build worlds, empires and cultures while vying with one another for ultimate control over the universe against the Demons and other "evil" beings.

Feel free to respond to any of Mike's review.  If I need to, I can always create a new thread.

Thanks for your time.
"We know what we know because someone told us it was so."

Asrogoth

Okay, no one seems to be looking here yet, so I should probably make some bold crazy statement to get you all to help me out.

I think this game isor has the potential to be an excellent Simulationist paradise.  It allows players not only to create their own worlds but to explore one another's worlds through narrative play and exploration.

This game also provides the ability for players to battle it out between them through strategy and battle royales.

What do you think?  I am full of it?  Does this game inspire you to immerse yourself into a world of your own creation?  Or does the thought of playing it make you go limp?

Come on Mike, I know you're there.  MJ, I'm sure you'd have a comment or two about the Simulationist possibilities (or lack thereof) in the game.

Let me have it.

Yours,
-Kenny

Mike Holmes

As I've said, I think it has tons of potential. It's as "high" a sim concept as can be created. The question that I have is whether or not players, once they have their characters worked out, will have any idea of what to do with them. I mean, I see a brief spasm of creativity (in a true sense of the word), with players making mountain ranges, and forests, and stuff. But once that's over, what does the GM present them with? What does an "adventure" look like?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Emily Care

Hi Kenny,

Here's what I would do if I were you. I'd look at the character creation bit as the place where the players get to collaborate on creating a universe that is interesting and beautiful or whatever they want it to be. They carve out their piece of the action in their Patronages and start going about their business trying to build up them up.  The Chronicler can help them do this by providing them with a general vision of the universe, as described by your game text, into which the players add their vision.  They're sort of demi-gods, right? It's the whole god trip.  

Then, once it's been set up, the Chronicler can come in and start trying to knock down all the sand-castles the players have built in the sky, using daemons and other baddies.   In your game text you recommend that the Chronicler let the players know what the goals of the campaign are, but if you do this you loose a golden opportunity that the game situation presents.

Also, clarify exactly how the Chronicler is supposed to fulfill her duties, and limit them mechanically instead of by the use of admonitions.  I have some serious questions about the the Council of the Divinities which has power of life and death over all player characters.  Why is this the case? The players can have characters on the Council, but if the Chronicler plays all npcs, wouldn't the npcs outnumber the pcs rendering the pc votes useless? Clarify what purpose the Council should serve, and make it do so.

Anyway, hope some of that is useful to you. The game world does seem ful of potential, but it seems like you need to connect certain elements to give players an idea of what to do with and in it.

Good luck with it!

Yrs,
Emily Care
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Mike Holmes

Well, that's one of the issues, Em - it seems that the PC gods are not alone. There are NPCs, and they're mostly more powerful than the PCs. So they can't have made the universe by themselves.

OTOH, this could just be a separate phase. Lots of ways to take it.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Emily Care

Quote from: Mike HolmesThere are NPCs, and they're mostly more powerful than the PCs. So they can't have made the universe by themselves.
Mm-hm. They needn't have, as I was thinking about it. They've just got their little garden-plots of Patronage to look after--the players though could do world creation to set it up.

But that's totally just my take. Kenny may have a completely different intent.

yrs,
Em
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Asrogoth

Sorry I haven't responded sooner (and this post is not really a response) but I wanted to let you know I've been out of town at my father-in-law's funeral.

So, I plan to have a "response" later this evening.

Thanks for looking.

-krbj