News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

A few really stupid questions

Started by Nev the Deranged, June 01, 2004, 07:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nev the Deranged

These are probably dumb questions, but I don't have my books handy and can't remember anything relevant. So I beg your forgiveness in advance.

1) What do demons use Lore for, other than a placeholder for the number of Abilities they have? Do demons ever roll Lore for anything? If Lore is sorcerous knowledge and savvy, does that imply demons don't know everything about sorcery themselves?

2) Can non-sorcerers or demons use Will overrides, or only sorcerers?

3) Several Actual Play threads have given character bios featuring both Cover AND Past... I had thought Past replaced Cover, but as that was in &Sword and the settings described are modern, perhaps it's just a tweak?

Again, my apologies for being too impatient to wait for my books back to look up the answers =/ I'm a bad person.

Doyce

These are just my own personal answers, so ignore to taste:

Quote from: Nev the Deranged1) What do demons use Lore for, other than a placeholder for the number of Abilities they have? Do demons ever roll Lore for anything? If Lore is sorcerous knowledge and savvy, does that imply demons don't know everything about sorcery themselves?

I use it when someone asks a demon what they know about some other demon or (sometimes) a notorious Sorcerer or entity.  They don't (ever) do Rituals of course, but they still know stuff.  In a way, I suppose I treat it like the Demon's Cover with regard to knowing stuff about demons.

Quote from: Nev the Deranged2) Can non-sorcerers or demons use Will overrides, or only sorcerers?

I have no blanket answer.  In my 'normal' Sorcerer game, the answer is no.  In the Grimm Therapy game, I'd say the answer is yes (especially for Parents and Teachers).  Season to taste?

Quote from: Nev the Deranged3) Several Actual Play threads have given character bios featuring both Cover AND Past... I had thought Past replaced Cover, but as that was in &Sword and the settings described are modern, perhaps it's just a tweak?

If you're referring to the recent Grade School Sorcerers or the Grimm Therapy game, you'll note a specific modification to the standard rules in the one-sheet: the character has both Cover and Past -- Cover refers to the kids identity in the Real World, and their Past is their identity in Make Believe.  In both games, you add you Stamina and Will scores together and divide that pool between Cover and Past as you see fit.

For other games you might have seen it in, I can't say.
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Quote1) What do demons use Lore for, other than a placeholder for the number of Abilities they have? Do demons ever roll Lore for anything? If Lore is sorcerous knowledge and savvy, does that imply demons don't know everything about sorcery themselves?

Gaaah, gamer-think. Your first questions are handled by whatever local customizing of sorcery/demons goes for that game.

Your final question is nonsensical.

Quote2) Can non-sorcerers or demons use Will overrides, or only sorcerers?

Sorcerers only.

Quote3) Several Actual Play threads have given character bios featuring both Cover AND Past... I had thought Past replaced Cover, but as that was in &Sword and the settings described are modern, perhaps it's just a tweak?

That's a local tweak for the group. And it's not an especially difficult one, e.g. in Demon Cops all characters have two Covers (Demon Cop plus whatever they did beforehand).

Best,
Ron

Nev the Deranged

Thanks guys. Sorry to be a bother.