News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"alot" is a disease

Started by ethan_greer, June 03, 2004, 10:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethan_greer

I've been noticing it more and more lately around here, and every time I do, it makes me want to stab my eyes. I feel certain that this grammatical lassitude is a sign of the Forge's imminent decline and demise. Whatever can we do to stem the tide?

"A lot" is two words. Not one. Use that spacebar, people.  Fight the disease!

Ben Lehman

pete_darby

Actually, it's a sign of obssessive compulsion to post at the risk of not doing job critical work.

Well, it is with me.

Anyway, a lot is an assignment of land, or porperty in an auction. Anyone using it to mean a large number should taken out and beaten with an English teacher.
Pete Darby

Jack Spencer Jr

Sorry you guys feel that way. Fact is, though, a language is a living thing and it changes based on how the people who speak it use it.

I'm sure there were some who disliked contractions when they first cropped up or who corrected people that awful means full of awe, not really bad.

My advice is to try to let it go because it will go anyway, whether you want to or not. Just realise that it's the laguage evolving, for better or worse, and you'll enjoy yourself alot better.

Ron Edwards

Hello,

I believe that covers all three bases, as I expected.

1. Strict standards

2. Pedantic qualifier

3. Rebellious "whatever"

I'm pretty certain no further discussion will provide anything but elaborations on these, so this thread's closed now.

Best,
Ron