News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sudden SA change

Started by Sir Mathodius Black, June 19, 2004, 11:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Mathodius Black

Even though it usually costs points to change an SA, arent there some situations that would warrant changing an SA but not paying for it?
Heres an example:

A character has Passion 3 : Love for his wife
His wife is then murdered by some evildoer.  Wouldnt it make sense to have that passion automatically change to :Seek vengance for his wife, or Hatred for said evildoer without losing that 3 points, because this character is going to be awfully pissed at this guy?

Im not sure if this has already been covered but i couldnt find it if it has.  any thoughts?

SMB
"God helps those who helps themselves."

Trevis Martin

Hi SMB,

I wouldn't change it at all, his greif and desire for vengence are still based on the love of his wife.  As I see it he could easily go after whoever based on Love for his wife.  As a Seneschal I would allow the dice for any interesting story stuff directly related to the murder.

Trevis

Lxndr

And according to the boards, it doesn't cost points per se.  You just have to spend it down to zero - thus IMPROVING YOUR CHARACTER in the process - to change it.  So your wife dying when you have passion 5 means that you're spending 5 points on character improvement (probably more, since you need a 2nd down to zero).
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

Jake Norwood

I agree with both aproaches, They both have their merits. Lxndr's right about the mechanical approach to it, but someone doesn't have to be alive for your love of them to motivate you. See J O'Barr's the Crow.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant