News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Introducing Narrativism to your Players

Started by Decurio, June 15, 2004, 05:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

H'm. OK, Wulf, I'll spot you that, and turn it over to Decurio's authority as thread-initiator.

Decurio - what aspect of play or understanding of the system do you want to focus on in this thread? Please be specific.

That oughta do it.

Best,
Ron

Decurio

Hey All,
Let me see if I can clarify this a bit more: my group and I have been playing simulationist games for nigh-on twenty plus years, beginning with RQ II.  Coming from that background, its hard to make the leap to a "story first" narrativist paradigm, and I suspect that ut HQ campaign is abut as sim as yu can make a narrativst game!  However, my players are enjoying the narrativist bits that are beginning to creep in, and we are all becoming more accustomed to using a narr frame of ref.  

I suppose you could say we are a work in progress, as far as the narrativist camp is involved.

It certainly wasn't my intention to cause contention on the thread; everyone's comments have been helpful, even if posters are in disagreement. Its probably my classical background, but the thread reminds me more and more of a classical dialogue wherein the participants are trying to figure out what the QUESTION is in the first place.  But that doesn't mean that the replies haven't been useful; on the contrary, the disagreements have, if nothing, shown me that the Forge community is still trying to define aspects of the GNS model, and debate is symptomatic of a healthy intellectual climate.

Having played HQ for a few weeks now, the differences in sim and narr play-and the capabilities of each style-are becoming more and more clear.  At this point, my question has been answered to the extent I was able to ask it in the first place; I think more hard experience is going to be the best teacher for awhile, although I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future.

Cheers!
Dec
"It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to appear foolish."
           -Aeschylus