News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Feinting with a rapier

Started by aaronharmon, June 22, 2004, 01:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronharmon

I read the post that i could find, and I just want to ask a clarifying question...
It is more expensive to feint with a rapier than with other weapons?

I thought that was the point of a rapier, that it was quick and light compared to other swords and was kept on-point and therefore could feint more easily. From what I have read, a number of feinting moves were developed after the acceptance of the rapier, such as the degage' (disengagement).
It seems from the posts that I have read that the cost for a feint for most sword styles is (various), meaning an activation cost of 1CP per extra die (if you add 3, you spend 6), but under the rapier styles it says (1), which either means 1 period, then dump all the dice you want into the real attack, or 1+1per CP (add 3 spend 7).
So if I feint with  rapier and add 3 dice, do I spend 4CP, 6CP, or 7CP?

Jake Norwood

Hi Aaron.

QuoteI thought that was the point of a rapier, that it was quick and light compared to other swords and was kept on-point and therefore could feint more easily.

Quicker, yes, lighter, yes. Easier to feint with...proportionally. The low ATN makes up for the increased activation cost. Feel free to dump the higher cost, though.

QuoteFrom what I have read, a number of feinting moves were developed after the acceptance of the rapier, such as the degage' (disengagement).

With the exception of a few, this is false. The "disengage" may be the oldest move in the book. A number of volte (turns) show up with the rapier that were only seen before with a dagger, and the lunge, while not new to the rapier, was certainly improved with its development.

QuoteIt seems from the posts that I have read that the cost for a feint for most sword styles is (various), meaning an activation cost of 1CP per extra die (if you add 3, you spend 6), but under the rapier styles it says (1), which either means 1 period, then dump all the dice you want into the real attack, or 1+1per CP (add 3 spend 7).
So if I feint with rapier and add 3 dice, do I spend 4CP, 6CP, or 7CP?

The activation cost comes *before* the die-for-die feinting trade. Thus you would spend 3 dice initially, then one CP per die thrown into the new attack.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

aaronharmon

OK, so the gist is that the cost is higher, but you make up for it with the disgusting ATN 5 for thrusts on the rapier (which, mathematically, may be the deadliest weapon in the game, if it werent for the difficulty in parrying cuts).

Jake Norwood

That was my reasoning at the time!

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant