News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Terrain rolls

Started by Sir Mathodius Black, June 29, 2004, 01:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Mathodius Black

As i cant take the time to read all the extensive topics on terrain rolls, and the book is not exactly clear (to me at least), could someone please explain what rules they use for terrain rolls in combat and how they work?  

(Sorry if this has already been discussed to death and back...)

SMB
"God helps those who helps themselves."

Tash

Basically anytime people try and move and there is a chance they might not be able to, use a terrain roll.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"

Sir Mathodius Black

and is that an example of turning a fight in your advantage by terrain, for example: making your opponent fight you while they are on slick ground, or while they are on a steep hill?
"God helps those who helps themselves."

Tash

If the fight was taking place on slick ground I'd make each combatant roll a terrain roll using dice from their CP against a fixed TN.  Each player decides for themselves how many dice to spend on the terrain roll and how many to keep in the CP for attacking and defending.  That essentially represents how much "attention" the character is paying to keeping their footing.  A failed terrain roll under these conditions would mean either a stumble (loss of some CP dice), or a fall to the ground (lying prone, very bad).

If I had two combatants fighting on a hill I'd use the same kind of terrain roll to determine who ended up on the high side of the hill.

Another example where I've used the terrain roll mechanic in combat was during a fight between a PC and two NPCs outside a building.  I had them roll terrain rolls to position themselves at the start of the round.  The PC won and was able to get a wall at his back to avoid being taken from behind.  One the next round I had them roll again, he won the second time and managed to keep one enemy between himself and the other one, ensuring he only had to face one opponent that round.
"And even triumph is bitter, when only the battle is counted..."  - Samael "Rebellion"