News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

throwing red vs. white dice

Started by Deliverator, June 26, 2004, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deliverator

Hello all.  Long-time reader here, but I only just joined indie-rpgs.  I have the core TROS book and have many wonderful things I plan to do with this system.

I've been reading over some of the old threads posted in the Forum directory, and while they have answered many of my questions, they have raised some new ones.

I noticed in an example of a duel via AIM that someone posted, that the combatants were throwing red or white dice at the beginning of every round.  Is this correct?  In the few example duels I've played, including one with a friend who is much more experienced than I am with the system (Ben Lehman, who is on this board somewhere), we only threw red/white dice at the beginning of combat or after the combatants broke off and were circling.  Otherwise, initiative is gained by making a successful defense.  The person who lost the initiative *can* declare an attack, but it's usually not a good idea.  (I guess the exception might me if you have a sword and shield and they only have a sword, do a Simultaneous Block/Strike, but I digress.)

I'd appreciate any responses from those who know the system better.

Matt
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory.

-Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Durgil

I don't know where you saw that other way that you mention here on the forum, but the way you and Ben play it is the correct way.  Welcome!
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

Rattlehead

The old duel over AIM that he saw may have been one from way back when Lance (Wolfen) and I were still learning the system. I don't remember it, but I do remember us posting some threads about our early duels as a means of pointing out the learning process for others (and ourselves).
Grooby!

Ben Lehman

Hi, Matt!

Yup, you've got it right.

yrs--
--Ben

Deliverator

Quote from: Ben LehmanHi, Matt!

Yup, you've got it right.

yrs--
--Ben

Yay!  Hi Ben!!  Love your sig.  What does it mean, "gamism is the new narrativism"?

Matt
The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory.

-Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash