News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[S&S Lit] Bounders and Rogues

Started by Spartan, July 14, 2004, 10:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

Hello all,

Having procured a fair amount of the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser stories, and Nifft the Lean, what are other tales of S&S rapscallion heroes?  Thieves, con-artists, and the like are particularly dear to my heart, and I'd like to incorporate some of that feel into my upcoming S&S game, if my players are willing... and I'd like all the inspiration I can get. :)

Thanks,
-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

joshua neff

If you can find a copy of Tanith Lee's Cyrion, grab it. The title character is a mythic rogue/warrior/lover. A great character.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Ron Edwards

Hey,

Tanith Lee's Night's Master also features a great range of roguish and villainous characters, as well as the occasional heroic by-his-wits type.

I recommend Jack Vance's first Dying Earth book, The Dying Earth, most highly for sword-and-sorcery purposes. The Eyes of the Overworld, the most famous in the series, is a great book but rather different in tone and theme, and the later books get a little frothy. But the first one, oh my, right on target.

Ummm ... oh yeah! Check out Clark Ashton Smith's books, especially Hyperborea and Xothique. The story I quoted in Sorc&Sword, the one about the 39 girdles, is a master-thief classic.

Best,
Ron

Jaik

I'll drop a vote for the Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust.  They're a slightly different genre (Human mob boss living in an Elven kingdom, told in slightly Noir detective style), but great characters and some really cool Humanity-type decisions.
For the love of all that is good, play the game straight at least once before you start screwing with it.

-Vincent

Aaron

Spartan

Quote from: Ron EdwardsTanith Lee's Night's Master also features a great range of roguish and villainous characters, as well as the occasional heroic by-his-wits type.

I recommend Jack Vance's first Dying Earth book, The Dying Earth, most highly for sword-and-sorcery purposes. The Eyes of the Overworld, the most famous in the series, is a great book but rather different in tone and theme, and the later books get a little frothy. But the first one, oh my, right on target.

Ummm ... oh yeah! Check out Clark Ashton Smith's books, especially Hyperborea and Xothique. The story I quoted in Sorc&Sword, the one about the 39 girdles, is a master-thief classic.

Night's Master, check.  Got it last weekend.  Jack Vance, huh?  OK, I'll add that to the list.  Smith's work is hard to find, but I've got Hyberborea and a few others in a collection of his stories, but I don't have it here to check what's in it... it's got the majority of what was mentioned in the reading list, IIRC.  When I brought my trove to the clerk to pay for the slew of S&S books I've been buying, the guy takes one look at the titles in the pile and says: "Oh, a collector!" ;)  Thanks for the info, all. :)

-Mark
And remember kids... Pillage first, THEN burn.

Sean

Hi there -

Eyes of the Overworld by vance features Cugel the Clever, the quintessential rogue character (the direct inspiration for the D&D thief and the T&T rogue, also) of fantasy literature. His adventures are continued in Cugel's Saga (also Vance) and Quest for Simbilis by Michael Shea of Nifft the Lean fame (not as good as the others or the good Nifft stuff, but).

If you've got Vance, Leiber, and Shea under your belt, those are IMO canon for the fantasy rogue. I suppose Roger Zelazny's Jack of Shadows, an explicit homage to Vance, is another good choice.