News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Congratulations to My Life with Master

Started by M. J. Young, June 29, 2004, 04:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. J. Young

Congratulations, Paul, for making the short list on the Diana Jones Award.

--M. J. Young

C. Edwards

Very, very cool. Much applause and congratulations, Paul.

-Chris

Paul Czege

Thanks guys. I'm pretty damn excited about it.

Paul

p.s. And I really groove on the fact that they're a secret cabal.
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Valamir

Hmmm....let me see if I get this straight.

A group of some of the most important and influencial industry people get together to give awards to games/individuals who've had an important impact on our hobby...

...and for 3 of the 4 years of the award's existance a Forge regular has been on the short list...

...was someone somewhere babbling something about the Forge being a bunch of niche navel gazers with no relevance to the hobby at large?

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: Valamir...was someone somewhere babbling something about the Forge being a bunch of niche navel gazers with no relevance to the hobby at large?

Well, we are!

However, the niche, the relevance we find in the hobby just happens to be with a group of some of the most important and influencial industry people, who in turn get together to give awards to games/individuals who've had an important impact on our hobby...

It's the CIIIIIiiiiiircle of Liiiiiiiiiife....
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Mike Holmes

Dude, he's going up against the entire Scandawhovian Gaming Scene - not to mention Hero Quest, Savage Worlds, and True Dungeon.

Talk about yer tough fields.

Check out how over here at the Ogre Cave, how the buzz is all about Forbeck's announcement of the field, and less about the Origins Award itself: http://www.ogrecave.com/archives/003896.shtml

Nifty.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

John Kim

Quote from: ValamirA group of some of the most important and influencial industry people get together to give awards to games/individuals who've had an important impact on our hobby...

...and for 3 of the 4 years of the award's existance a Forge regular has been on the short list...

...was someone somewhere babbling something about the Forge being a bunch of niche navel gazers with no relevance to the hobby at large?
Just out of curiousity, have they ever exposed who the judges are for the Diana Jones award or how the winner is determined?  When I last heard, the only industry person publically behind them was James Wallis -- though he suggested that a bunch of unnamed industry folk were privately involved.  Apparently Matt Forbeck is handling the award now.  I've been midly curious about this since the award was announced.
- John

Ron Edwards

Hello,

James Wallis is still the main man for the Diana Jones Award; Matt Forbeck handles the website and a few other logistic details. Some of the committee members are uncloseted, but since I can't remember exactly which, I can't say. I think Paul knows.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

I think Paul knows.

What I  know:
    The http://www.dianajonesaward.org/moreinformation.htm">About the Diana Jones Award page has the following information:

"Most of the members of the Diana Jones judging committee are anonymous, but Peter Adkison, Matt Forbeck, John Kovalic and James Wallis have all revealed their membership. New members are invited at the discretion of the existing members."[/list:u]What can be inferred:
      Ron's involvement subsequent to Sorcerer winning the award in 2002 suggests a pattern of inviting winners to the committee. So the good money is also on Rebecca Borgstrom and Jordan Weisman.[/list:u]Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

M. J. Young

It may have been changed, and it may merely have been removed in an update of the web site, but I recall reading there that Diana Jones Award winners are automatically invited to be part of the committee that chooses future winners.

However, given the way the nominees are often listed (The Scandinavian Gaming Scene) it may not be something that can always apply.

--M. J. Young

Mike Holmes

Quote from: M. J. YoungHowever, given the way the nominees are often listed (The Scandinavian Gaming Scene) it may not be something that can always apply.
They might pick a representative. There are several likely candidates who suggest themselves from this group.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.