News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

game design and psychology

Started by Emily Care, June 30, 2004, 05:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenDog

Hello Emily, this is interesting more so because I've just come from writing down an idea for a game that uses your model.

Synchronicity and all that. I just headed to RPG theory on an unrelated search (about designing games specifically to be used online) but this thread caught my eye. I was interested to see if it was about the psychology of group dynamics or some such.

Anyway, back on topic my game idea that uses your model.

It's all very vague at the moment most of it exists in my head all I have down is a one page word doc of the most basic outline.

It's an idea for a game about TV shows. It follows your model in two ways first each Show has the three different phases you mention and this and then each episode follows the model.

Let me explain the model is first followed in session one where everyone gets together to decide what type of show they are going to create, f'rex soap, sitcom, drama, comedy drama, docu-soap, action/adventure series. Then they hone in on the format (three act drama, three act drama with a teaser, two act sitcom etc) decide on the type of cast they will need (Hero/Heroine, ensemble cast, scoobies & flunkies, extras, bad guys etc). They also decide who will direct, and then they create some possible characters (The PC being both the actor and the character they play in the show), and cast them in the roles also the players audition for the parts of the different characters.

This is all the warm up for the show, the actual show itself is the action, and the integration part is the ratings and awards after the 1st season finishes providing the show gets that far.

The second way it fits the model is in individual episodes of the show. First the players and GM (that's whoever was chosen as director for this particular show) play the role of the scriptwriters. So that each session the first part of the play is a scriptwriting/brainstorming session where the play decide what is going to happen in Acts 1,2, and 3, where it's going to happen and which characters and any extras guest stars will appear in the scenes.

Then the next part of the session is actually playing out the story and scenes created in the scriptwriting part of the session.

Of course the 'actual' episode may also contain this three stage model of warm up, action, integration (or set-up, conflict, resolution/denouement as they would be referred to by network types.

Part three integration might not happen every episode but it does happen after 'The Pilot Episode' where the players all get there heads together and play TV critics, network Execs and focus groups and decide if this Pilot has the making of a show. Here the players get the chance to change anything they didn't feel worked. Recast any characters they didn't like. Change the style or direction of the show, or alternatively give it the thumbs down and don't commission it. In which case the players go back to the first stage and create an idea for a brand new show.

If the pilot goes down well the show is commissioned and future play session revolve around scriptwriting sessions and playing the show. The network keeps an eye on the first few episodes and so do the critics and focus groups.

So perhaps have stage three integration every other episode. Once the future of the show is guaranteed then it can run season after season, until everyone feels it has jumped the shark. Or they finish it before that happens, or the network pulls it despite it being the best show ever, much to the chagrin of it's fans.

Just for clarification, in case my ramblings aren't to the point, when I'm talking about critics, focus groups network execs and ratings I'm talking about the players discussing and adjusting the game they are playing, always with the possibility of scrapping it completely and starting again.

So there I was thinking about my new game design (I have no idea how I'll work out mechanics and system for all or any of this), when I read this thread and a lot of stuff just fell into place.

I mean, I knew I wanted the game session to be split into an out of character brainstorming, (the creative scriptwriting session). Followed by the actual playing of the game/show. Then have occasional assessment and discussion with the options of adjusting the game as it is being played. Your thread has made me much more aware of that structure and proved very useful (just writing this has helped me refine a few ideas).

Like I said my ideas are all very vague at this stage, especially the mechanical side of things. I don't really know much GNS but I'm guessing this should be designed as a Narr game.

Emily Care

Hey ZenDog,

You should most definitely check out Matt Wilson's Primetime Adventures.  Not only because his game co. is called Dog Eared Designs, but also because from what I hear it's an awesome system that has great relation to your game concept.

TV drama follows this three-act structure big time. With ritual demarcation of the story space (ie theme song and credits before and after).  All those "here's what we learned from the story today" in He-Man (ie. "don't put mustard on the cat") were completely about integrating the action of the story.  There's gotta be a less cheesy way, of course, but that's the principle...

I'm gonna quote from the thread about PrimeTime, 'cause it relates:
Quote from: Matt WilsonWhile my personal feelings toward the game can fluctuate between "it's total crap" and "it's awesome," I haven't had a bad experience yet with any group creation process, for this game or any other.

It makes me not want to go back to any sort of "create characters in a vacuum" approach.
100% warm-up and creation of group groove.  Unless you want your players to have to overcome social as well as creative obstacles to exploration, using character creation as a place to bring people into synch and to invest in eachother's creations just makes sense.

yrs,
Em
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games