News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Who Sorcerised Roger Rabbit?

Started by hix, July 01, 2004, 10:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hix

Demons are Toons. They want to play with humans, entertain (and be entertained) and most of all they want humans to use Toon Logic with them.

Humanity is Logic, Reason and Common Sense. Doing the sensible thing. Avoiding absurdity, being serious. Not being the victim in elaborate, farcical set-piece gags.

At zero Humanity, you're using Toon Logic all the time – and are unable to function in human society. So... visit the nut-house, stay in Toon Town. Maybe even become a Toon.

All demons come from Toon Town, which exists in a designated area of the city.

PASSERS – Jessica Rabbit.
OBJECTS – Eddie's gun and bullets.
POSSESSORS – The Judge?
INCONSPICUOUS – Donald Duck's Angel and Devil
PARASITE – A ridiculously long tongue, the Big Hand from the Foo Fighters' 'Everlong' video.

To contact a Demon, find an absurd way of getting into Toon Town. To Summon one, get its attention. To bind a Demon, make it laugh or entertain it using its Schtick.

Some first ideas for descriptors include:
Stamina – Dour, Rubbery, Brick, Light-footed
Will – Intense (???) ...
Lore – Stand Up Comic, Toon Geek, 23 Skidoo, Joker, One of the Guys.
Cover – Cop, P.I., Actor / Starlet, Wannabe, Movie Mogul, Director ...

The tone is Noir Seriousness probably with very serious Kickers (maybe even life-threatening) to play against the comedy of what the Demons want you to do.

I got Sorceror four days ago - after jamming through about 15 settings, this is the one that stuck (thanks to Ron's comment here and Christopher's initial observations in this thread for helping me come to grips on setting development). This'll probably be the first setting I take to my group after we play-test with the Training Run. Anyone feel like jamming on it?
Cheers,
Steve

Gametime: a New Zealand blog about RPGs

greyorm

So when the cop does all that wacky stuff at the end of the movie, it allows him to Bind and then Banish the Judge? (Sorry, I don't recall the movie too well, but that's what sprang to mind). This is an incredible idea, however.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

I totally play demons as Toons, in nearly every application of Sorcerer.

Best,
Ron

hix

Came up with some Will descriptors that give the human side of the game some contrasting grimness:

Intense, Reflective, Greedy, Dour, Cynical, Opportunistic.

Ron, for some reason that creeps me out. Anyway, to play demons as toons, I think: "self-centred," "simple but extreme characterisation," and "totally obsessed with one single thing." Accurate? Anything else?

Greyorm, time to rewatch WFRR myself. But from memory, Eddie's wackiness leads to quick-setting cement, a steam-roller and that Toon solvent. So, yeah, that definitely sounds like the right track.

[Edit: to avoid repetition.]
Cheers,
Steve

hix

I just realised what's at the heart of my question, Ron: I see Toons as playful and light-hearted, whereas from the rulebook, my impression of the default demon is menacing, dramatic and more realistic.
Cheers,
Steve

joshua neff

Quote from: hixI see Toons as playful and light-hearted...

Watch more Bugs Bunny. He's a stinker.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Sydney Freedberg

Quote from: joshua neff
Quote from: hixI see Toons as playful and light-hearted...

Watch more Bugs Bunny. He's a stinker.

Howzabout Tom and Jerry? Or Woody Woodpecker? There's a relentless sadism in the "I chase you, you chase me, I pound you flat" cartoons that now, as an adult, I find really disturbing, even unwatchable.

Bugs at least pulls gags... although now that I think about it, he does seem to have some preternatural abilities. Maybe a few Covers for the disguises and Travel to represent his uncanny ability to be standing just behind Elmer Fudd? And, like all Toons, he's got Armor... No, wait, I need to stop doing this before I have nightmares.

pete_darby

Nah, it's Droopy that has Travel amped up...

"You know what? I do this through the whole picture..."

Cartoons, especially shorts, are the Western 20th century fairy tales. Sure, you just keep telling yourself they're for kids...

Okay, now y'all have got me trying to stat up the singing frog from "One Froggy Evening."

Need: Frustration
Desire: Singing
Pete Darby

hix

Pete's post reminds me of a more general question.

When I was trying to figure out what sort of Needs that Toons/Demons would have, it felt like their Needs should somehow be opposed to the setting's definition of Humanity. That is, fulfilling a Need means making a Humanity check.

Is this true?
Cheers,
Steve