News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

So, why should I write for YOU?

Started by GRIM, July 09, 2004, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRIM

"GRIM, what are you trying to do?  Self publish?  Or freelance to a publisher?"

I do both.

"If you are freelancing to a publisher, how do you normally get paid?  My understanding is that flat rate or some per/word basis is the standard.  If that is correct, what difference does it make to you how much the project you freelance for eventually goes on to sell?"

Usually flat rate, sometimes advance against royalties.
However, you'd be wrong to think once you get a flat payment sales don't make a difference.
Write something critically acclaimed or that sells like hot potatoes and you'll get more work and can command a better rate.

"Is your thought that d20 products sell more and therefor d20 publishers can afford to pay you more for your freelance services?"

No, my thought is that in my own produced products, more people do buy d20 offerings.

philreed

D20 PDFs sell more copies. Example:

The Whispering Vault (Released 3/16/2003) -- 130 copies
101 Collection (Released 4/26/2003) -- 292 copies
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Rorimack

(if I may ask)

Is this only the core rulebook, or with the "Whispering Vaults collection 1"?

(I understood the "d20 sells better" part, I'm just surprised in the difference, especially for these items.)
Balazs

philreed

Quote from: Rorimack(if I may ask)

Is this only the core rulebook, or with the "Whispering Vaults collection 1"?

(I understood the "d20 sells better" part, I'm just surprised in the difference, especially for these items.)

Just the core rules. Vault Collection 1 has sold 130 copies. I selected the two PDFs to show numbers on for a reason. If we look at the numbers for single sales of the three PDFs in the 101 Collection we find:

101 Arcane Spell Components -- 245 copies
101 Mundane Treasures -- 599 copies
101 Spellbooks -- 430 copies

To show another D20 PDF, my Campaign Planner has sold 444 copies.

vs. Monsters Deluxe Edition has only sold 19 copies in PDF.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com