News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

24 Hour RPG site live

Started by Andy Kitkowski, July 12, 2004, 12:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett M. Bernstein

Agreeing with Mike, I thought the whole point was for everyone to work on this at the same time. Also, what happened to the 24 page requirement?

Are you changing what Phil already had laid down or this part of another endeavor?
Politically Incorrect Games
www.pigames.net
Publisher of Active Exploits Diceless Roleplaying, Iron Gauntlets, Rune Stryders, Two-Fisted Tales, genreDiversion, et al.

philreed

Quote from: Brett M. BernsteinAgreeing with Mike, I thought the whole point was for everyone to work on this at the same time. Also, what happened to the 24 page requirement?

I had missed that the 24-page requirement was lost. I think that's important.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Andy Kitkowski

Quote from: philreed
I had missed that the 24-page requirement was lost. I think that's important.

Ah, ok- Yeah I took it out cause I didn't personally find it important, but if it's important to others, I don't mind readding it.  Thing is, as I was going through old threads, I found this from Jeph...

QuoteI don't think anyone actually made the full 24 pages. Yee Olde West was 9, Vespertine was 19, Sunrise was 16, Pace was 18, Criminal Element was 12... hell, I think Vs. Monsters might have been the longest. And it was certainly the prettiest.

I don't mind making a game "24 pages" and then f-ing around with the font size to make it that long... but since none of the entrants last year (all talented individuals) couldn't make the full 24 pages... might it be an untenable, unreachable goal?

I absoloutely appreciate setting a goal that's tight, hard... strenuous... grueling, even.  But an unattainable one? (or one that can only be met by "cheating"- changing paper size, raising fonts to 14-pt, etc)

If 24 is cool with everyone, I'll throw that up there tonight... but would a more tenable goal be more reasonable?

IMO, 24 pages in a comic is much more doable than in an RPG- You use space, panels etc to convey time and space... text, though, doesn't have that luxury.

Also, I just played around on MS word, created a few "generic sized" paragraphs, left the page size with the original margins, Letter Size paper, and left teh default font at 10 point Arial.  24 pages is about 16,000 words, give or take a thou. I'm not a big writer person, but is that tenable?  I was under the impression that 1-2,000 a night is "hobby professional", 5,000 a night is "Stephen King"... Sure, many thousands of words will need to be written to get the game up, but is 16,000 reasonable? (I don't know, actually, I'm simply asking)

Again, though, I want to hear feedback on this. 24 pages? No page limit (mayeb not the best way to go)? Lessening the limit, and if so to what? etc

Or possibly even making a Word, rather than a Size, limit?  That may fit the medium (text, not art) better?

Note, again, I'm not advocating anything- I just want to get some discussion on this before I post anything.  Unfortunately, we have less than 48 hours to come to agreement before the first Grand Act. :-)

Philip- Are you on AIM, Yahoo, etc?  I'm "Zigguratbuilder" on both- please hit me up if you use either. I figure we can hash this out in about 5 mins if we can converse.
-But also, would love to hear feedback from others here.

Thanks!
-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Andy Kitkowski

After talking to Philip, we're gonna go ahead and keep the goal at 24 pages. We'll "recommend it", but I'm gonna go ahead and push for it. We'll set it there this time around, and see what people can do. If we have everyone failing to meet that again, we'll reevaluate. But, theoretically, if you get inspired by The Muse, and everything falls into place, you should be able to make 24 pages.

Maybe. :)

We'll see. Again, 24 pages for now, we'll reevaluate after the Grand Act.

Thanks all!
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Simon W

I wrote Dreamscape before I knew there was a 24 page requirement (it has only 20 pages).

I started early because I didn't think I'd have a free weekend in the next three.

Oh well, I'll just have to do another, but it'll still have to be during the week rather than at the weekend.

If you want to check out Dreamscape, at the moment it can be found here

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/24HourGames/

but I'll put a copy on my website as soon as I can. I'm not entirely happy with vast chunks of it in the cold light of day, so I will have to do a major re-write shortly. Any comments/suggestions would be helpful.

I think with hindsight, I will rework the powers/abilities thing completely. I am wondering about a dice pool idea, with the Chargemaster character having a massive dice pool available to pass to other players as he sees fit.

Simon W