News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Gloranthan Sources of Conflict-Pre-Campaign Preparation

Started by Decurio, June 18, 2004, 11:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankuei

Hi lc,

I wouldn't worry too much.  Either the quiet player will warm up to it, or decide he doesn't like it.  I've found further pre-game discussion in attempts to "convince" people that it is possible only serves to reinforce their defensiveness.  

Better to show, rather than tell.

Chris

Mike Holmes

Right, what Chris said. Don't tell them how it's going to work. Just play that way. They'll keep waiting for the moment where you frame them all to the tavern to hear the call from the dark cloaked stranger to help him with an errand to the wizard's tower nearby. But after a while, they'll just realize that it isn't coming, and that they're having fun anyhow.

I assume that by "interconnected stories" you mean Bangs and Relationship Maps and the like? The word story makes me panic, making me think that you have paths set up for each PC. Which is just as sim as having one path for everyone.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

lightcastle

Chris and Mike,

I do fully intend to just play and let them come to terms with it. But with this last player just not proposing a character at all, I think she's doing a little passive-aggressive resistance. We'll see, hopefully I'll see her tonight.

And Mike, I didn't mean to scare you. Yes, I'm talking relationship maps and bangs. I'm including some fixed events which are Glorantha-history based (namely, the ongoing seige of Whitewall) that will disturb everyone in the city I'm drawing bangs from the goals they're laying out for themselves.

In fact, I'm drawing the relationship map from that too. I've asked the players to sketch some of the people they need to interact with for the sake of the premise they want to explore.

Thus the merchant guy has said he would need the main merchant he's trying to usurp, at least one rival gunning for the same position, the major Lunar client he has and the major rebel client he has. So I'm letting him get some major input into his relationship with those people, and using them as points on the map to start.  Is this a rational way to approach this in your opinion?

Mike Holmes

Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.