News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Flower of Battle Update

Started by Claymore, July 26, 2004, 03:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claymore

The Flower of Battle Update

I just wanted to give everyone a head's up and let you know that we have received the manuscript for TFoB and are preparing it for publication. Jake had completed almost everything he needed to for the supplement and has left notes on a few ideas that still need to be fleshed out. Brian Leybourne will be putting the finishing touches on the book. The target release date is scheduled for mid-fall and should have everything you have come to expect plus much more. I was completely blown away by the work done by both Jake and Brian, and I think the rest of you will feel the same! The supplement will come in at between 216-256 pages, (I'd bet right around 224) and should retail in the $30 dollar range for the print version (a PDF version will also be available for about $15).

A cover image (without logos or text) will be made available in a couple of days at www.theriddleofsteel.net

Some, but not all of the art for the project has been completed, and nothing has yet to be laid out. If you are or know an artist or fledgling graphic designer that might be interested in working on the project please have that person send an email with a link or zip with their work for us to review to seneschal@theriddleofsteel.net

We are hoping to post portions of some of the completed chapters of TFoB as PDFs (as opposed to the previously reported HTML draft version) as soon as we are able to so that you can get a taste of what's in store.

We finally want to thank all of The Riddle of Steel fans out there for their patience and support during this time. Without you, (well, you know ;-)
George
Driftwood Publishing
claymore@theriddleofsteel.net
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Brian Leybourne

I just want you guys to know that TFOB is shaping up to be a damn cool book. We still have some work to complete on it, but I think you're going to be blown away by how cool it all is.

And thanks for your patience during this time. I can see very good things in the future for Driftwood and TROS!

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Tywin Lannister

We're all looking forward to it :)
Any teasers?
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Claymore

Quote from: Tywin LannisterWe're all looking forward to it :)
Any teasers?

Not until next month, but they are coming! (but the cover preview is up over at www.theriddleofsteel.net right now!)
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Irmo

Well, next month is next week ;)

Richard_Strey

Will there be a Print/PDF bundle available? I have OBAM in both print and electronic format and it has proven very useful. So my actual book can stay at home safely while its spirit travels with me around the world. Having the books, Brian's character creator and the dice-roller on a notebook computer takes GM-assistance to a whole new level.

Claymore

Quote from: Richard_StreyWill there be a Print/PDF bundle available? I have OBAM in both print and electronic format and it has proven very useful. So my actual book can stay at home safely while its spirit travels with me around the world. Having the books, Brian's character creator and the dice-roller on a notebook computer takes GM-assistance to a whole new level.

A Print/PDF combo pack will be available for about $5 more than the Print version alone. The only problem is TFoB will be BIG! Almost twice the size of OBaM (200+ pages). It's going to be a bigger download.

We are also considering a pre-order option where you get the PDF for an extra buck when you order both, if you pre-order by a certain date. It saves you $4 and helps us determine our print run.
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Ashren Va'Hale

I'd pay for the pre-order combo. I imagine there are many others who will do the same. Let us know when you will start taking pre-orders.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Irmo

Quote from: Claymore

We are also considering a pre-order option where you get the PDF for an extra buck when you order both, if you pre-order by a certain date. It saves you $4 and helps us determine our print run.

Is it somehow possible to buy the game or supplements in-store and still get the PDF at a bundle discount? I'm a bit sceptical on dealing with international shipping and import issues myself and would rather entice the local game store to keep a regular stock of TROS supplies.

Claymore

Quote from: Irmo
Is it somehow possible to buy the game or supplements in-store and still get the PDF at a bundle discount? I'm a bit sceptical on dealing with international shipping and import issues myself and would rather entice the local game store to keep a regular stock of TROS supplies.

I'd love to if I could, but I don't think there is a practical way to do it. The obvious answer is have two separate books, one of which has a cd with the pdf packaged with it. The problem is, stores and distributors are loathe to carry two different versions of the same book, at the same time. If we were to think about doing a limited hardcover version, we would probably have to sell it direct because distribution just would not order it. The reason for this is 1) stores are afraid whatever they order will be the thing nobody wants, and 2) putting the wrong price on the wrong item.
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Brian Leybourne

You know, talking about CD's...

Jake and I always talked about the idea of putting the TROS software (which I'll have to update sometime when I'm not so busy writing) onto CD and selling it chea (like $5 or something). Any reason we couldn't come up with some deal to put suppliment PDF's on the same CD if people buy it?

Just an idle thought. In some ways a bad idea, because if people actually PAY for the TROS software, they'll expect me to support it better :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Irmo

Quote from: Claymore
I'd love to if I could, but I don't think there is a practical way to do it. The obvious answer is have two separate books, one of which has a cd with the pdf packaged with it. The problem is, stores and distributors are loathe to carry two different versions of the same book, at the same time. If we were to think about doing a limited hardcover version, we would probably have to sell it direct because distribution just would not order it. The reason for this is 1) stores are afraid whatever they order will be the thing nobody wants, and 2) putting the wrong price on the wrong item.

Why not deliver the CD separately to the stores, so that they can be sold in-store separately or together with the book?

Claymore

Quote from: Irmo
Why not deliver the CD separately to the stores, so that they can be sold in-store separately or together with the book?

Because the stores would consider that two of the same product and not carry it. Also, for some reason, Distributers and stores don't want to carry CD's, even if you put them in nice big DVD cases. Columbia games tried this about a year and a half ago with a supplement and it tanked badly. Even if we wanted to do a PDF only supplement we would have a very hard time time to market it in CD format. The good news is that we have made arrangements with a very good publisher to do print on demand versions on any PDF supplements we do, provided they are 8+ pages, and we think there is a market for them. This however doesn't really help you with TFoB though :-(

If there is anything else I can think of I'll let you know.
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Vagabond Elf

I have no idea if there are any others like me, but I personally have no use for supplements published as PDFs.  I find Acrobat a pain to try and read things in, and would much rather read a book than a computer screen anyway.  So all I'd do is print it out, and then it's barely cheaper than buying the book, and has a much crappier binding.

If there are a lot of people like me, that might be why PDFs don't sell.  Just a thought.

Valamir

There are others like you Vag, but fortuneatly your numbers are dwindling and heading for extinction ;-)

Much like we might express astonishment at the idea that in elder times people carved cuniform into clay tablets and thought that was convenient so too will come a generation in the not too distant future who says:

"Paper?  What were they thinking?"