News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Character goal based reward systems

Started by mindwanders, July 27, 2004, 12:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindwanders

I'm looking for examples of some games that use character goal based reward systems. Unfortunately with my limited knowledge of game systems I'm not aware of any.

Ideally I'd prefer something that is a reward system but not an advancement system, although I'm interested to hear about any way in which goal based reward systems have been used.

I'd also welcome thoughts on the Creative Agenda supported by the example games if anyone has any thoughts.

Vaxalon

What is a "character goal based reward system"?

Is it a set of rules (little-s system) that rewards players when their characters achieve their goals?
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

xiombarg

I know Clinton's The Shadow of Yesterday uses such a system. Check out the bit on "Keys" for example.
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

mindwanders

Ok, probably the best way to do this is to explain what I'm thinking about using in a game design. Please note that this is for a LARP, so it will probably sound unusable for a table top game.

A player starts with three points of karma on his character sheet. These points of Karma can be spent to give a small gain to an attempted task resolution (in much the same way as Karma in Star Wars). This is thier only function, they cannot be used to advance the character and do not regenerate unless the character earns more.

Each player writes down three goals for his character. These should be medium term goals that should take 2-3 monts play time to complete. When he completes his goal he then recieves another point of karma. If a goal becomes impossible or impractical to achieve the player can declare his character has abandoned his goal and replace it with another.

The number of goals completed or failed is kept on the character sheet for no purpose other than so that the player can compare with other players should he wish.

The idea behind it is to provide a gamist reward system that rewards something close to simulationist play.

Do you understand the sort of thing I'm looking for now? I'm trying to find out who has done this before, why they did it and if it worked.

mindwanders

QuoteI know Clinton's The Shadow of Yesterday uses such a system. Check out the bit on "Keys" for example.

Oh, now that's the sort of thing I'm looking for, and I don't even have to buy it :-)

Mike Holmes

FWIW, there have been a number of games which have as the reward mechanic that you "level up" or such when reaching a goal. Very simply, instead of having EXP totals, or whatnot, you get rewards when you reach a goal. Usually you're limited in how many goals you can have at one time. These are probably simpler that what you want, but the principle is there - other people think it's a good idea in general.

Check out Aspect advancement in FATE: www.faterpg.com

(also free, and the best free game out there, IMO)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

xiombarg

You could argue that in this context, Kickers in Sorcerer are the same sort of thing. Once you resolve a Kicker, you get to re-write the character entirely.

(On a more trivial, kinda-off-topic note, considering that I recently wrote a glowing review of FATE I'm ashamed that Mike beat me to mentioning it...)
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

efindel

Lace & Steel has a "Self Image" score for characters.  A player may decide to "invest" Self Image in accomplishing a task or keeping a promise.  The GM and the player negotiate how much Self Image can be invested in a particular task or promise.

If/when the task/promise is failed/broken, the character's Self Image score gets worse by the amount of the investment.  If/when the character succeeds, Self Image is improved by that amount.

This isn't an "advancement" system -- it has little to do with improving skills or such.  However, it is a reward/punishment, since the Self Image score can give benefits and penalties.

mindwanders

Both "Fate" and "The Shadow of Yesterday" have been very helpful for inspiration, thanks folks.

LAce and steel sounds closer to what I'm looking to actually impliment it. another thing to add to my "really must pick up" list.

Lxndr

http://www.fudgefactor.org/2001/11/01/this_time_its_personal.html

This is a set of goal-oriented rewards crafted for FUDGE.  I used it without much change for a HERO game.
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming