News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

TFoB Cover posted

Started by Irmo, July 28, 2004, 08:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irmo

This was split from the Flower of Battle Update. You can check out the new cover at www.theriddleofsteel.net

-Claymore

Quote from: ClaymoreThe Flower of Battle Update

A cover image (without logos or text) will be made available in a couple of days at www.theriddleofsteel.net

Just saw the cover page. Top half certainly seems inspired by the Fencing School cuts used in the Meyer Fechtbuch. I wonder, though, how it fits together with the bottom half, which on the one hand has more color, on the other hand, is quite a different style. Also, are those helmets patterned after something historical? They look kinda weird to me.

Claymore

Jake was handling art direction for TFoB, I know the top part is a colorized woodcut from a renaissance fighting manual. I'm not sure the exact period the bottom half is inspired from.
George
Driftwood Publishing
claymore@theriddleofsteel.net
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Salamander

Quote from: ClaymoreJake was handling art direction for TFoB, I know the top part is a colorized woodcut from a renaissance fighting manual. I'm not sure the exact period the bottom half is inspired from.

The bottom looks like a mixture of 14th Century French Arms & Armour and 16th organization to me...

The top is on the tip of my tongue...
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Irmo

Quote from: ClaymoreJake was handling art direction for TFoB, I know the top part is a colorized woodcut from a renaissance fighting manual. I'm not sure the exact period the bottom half is inspired from.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the top is Meyer, even more so if Jake was involved in it, since I know he has studied Meyer quite a bit and the style is fitting. Got my Meyer at home, though, but there are some woodcuts from it on the ARMA page:

http://www.thearma.org/pdf/JoachimMeyer.htm

Here, I think this is it, just mirrored:
http://www.thearma.org/pdf/jmgsx2.jpg

Irmo

Speaking of mirrored, wasn't the pic the other way round a couple of hours ago?????

Claymore

Quote from: IrmoSpeaking of mirrored, wasn't the pic the other way round a couple of hours ago?????

Yes, and everyone was left handed a couple of hours ago :-)

That's the way we got it, and I thought something was wrong, but I didn't really notice it until AFTER the webmaster put it up. I contacted him last night and we changed it first thing this morning (I don't admin the main site). I'm not sure why it was that way in the first place, but its the "right way" now.

That's why I did not post a link until today.
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Irmo

Quote from: Claymore
Quote from: IrmoSpeaking of mirrored, wasn't the pic the other way round a couple of hours ago?????

Yes, and everyone was left handed a couple of hours ago :-)

That's the way we got it, and I thought something was wrong, but I didn't really notice it until AFTER the webmaster put it up. I contacted him last night and we changed it first thing this morning (I don't admin the main site). I'm not sure why it was that way in the first place, but its the "right way" now.

That's why I did not post a link until today.

It's the "right way" for the bottom picture now, but now the guys on top are left handed :)

Claymore

Quote from: Irmo
It's the "right way" for the bottom picture now, but now the guys on top are left handed :)

Yes, but it's less obvious as all the people on top are using both hands (well except one). Again, the cover is almost done, not complete. Everything will be going the "right way" on the final product.
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Jake Norwood

Use photoshop to flip the bottom half around but not the top. All done.

Jake

ps. Use this time to give feedback about the cover, because the artist is happy to re-tool it yet, as we had just gotten to that stage of the design.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

tauman

The annoying thing is that when TFoB comes out, some reviewer is going to criticize the cover art--as if TFoB would be better suited to some punked-out fantasy cover, or one of the endless bland fantasy paintings.

I think the colorized Meyer is fantastic. A piece of art created by someone who was "there" beats some dirty, half-naked woman in revealing, spikey armor any day. I also like the "segue" from training to the field of battle (i.e. preparing on the top, performing on the bottom). The cover looks fantastic!

Steve

Claymore

Quote from: Jake NorwoodUse photoshop to flip the bottom half around but not the top. All done.

Actually, I just spoke with Jeremy, he would rather have the previous orientation, so he is heavily re-working the cover, which I thought was very nice of him. One helmet looked a little to modern for my tastes, and he will be changing that as well. We should have the new cover up in two to three weeks. In the meantime, the existing cover is a "work in progress" :-)
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Claymore

Quote from: taumanThe annoying thing is that when TFoB comes out, some reviewer is going to criticize the cover art--as if TFoB would be better suited to some punked-out fantasy cover, or one of the endless bland fantasy paintings.

I think the colorized Meyer is fantastic. A piece of art created by someone who was "there" beats some dirty, half-naked woman in revealing, spikey armor any day. I also like the "segue" from training to the field of battle (i.e. preparing on the top, performing on the bottom). The cover looks fantastic!
Steve

While I like a picture of a scantily clad woman wielding the two handed sword as much as the next man, we will not be adapting the Avalanche Press marketing strategy. (Not that I have anything wrong with it!)

Our covers (and interiors) are going to continue the trend set by OBaM (although the cover to SaTF might get a little funky :-)
George
Driftwood Publishing
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: taumanThe annoying thing is that when TFoB comes out, some reviewer is going to ...

*grumble* You would think so wouldn't you.

Nobody ever reviewed OBAM. Nobody. I've never seen a review for it.

Not that I was ever expecting a rave review or anything like that, even now I can see a lot of things in OBAM that I would do differently now etc, but it would have been nice to read even one. Sigh. Hopefully TFOB will get some.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

arxhon

Quote from: Brian Leybourne
Quote from: taumanThe annoying thing is that when TFoB comes out, some reviewer is going to ...

*grumble* You would think so wouldn't you.

Nobody ever reviewed OBAM. Nobody. I've never seen a review for it.

I knew i forgot to do something this year.

Seriously, reviewing OBaM is on my list of things to do.
Learning to be an evil accountant got in the way and then i forgot.

Expect one sometime next week.

Brian Leybourne

Cool.

Don't let my fragile ego and suicidal tendancies sway you in the slightest... :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion