News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Income

Started by Sir Mathodius Black, July 28, 2004, 05:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Mathodius Black

Just a little quesiton regarding the income depending on social class.  On page 18 it states, for example, that landed nobility recieve 3d10x10 gold per months (average of 150/month), yet on page 203 it states the yearly income is only 50 gold for landed nobility.  On page 18 gentry recieve 1d10x10 monthly yet on page 203 it says they recieve 20 gold yearly.  which do i use and what does each mean?  Do these monthly incomes include money gained from buisness or some other means?

Thanks
"God helps those who helps themselves."

Irmo

Quote from: Sir Mathodius BlackJust a little quesiton regarding the income depending on social class.  On page 18 it states, for example, that landed nobility recieve 3d10x10 gold per months (average of 150/month), yet on page 203 it states the yearly income is only 50 gold for landed nobility.  On page 18 gentry recieve 1d10x10 monthly yet on page 203 it says they recieve 20 gold yearly.  which do i use and what does each mean?  Do these monthly incomes include money gained from buisness or some other means?

Thanks

I think that is adressed in part in http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=3855&highlight=income

The income in book 2 is wrong, that in book 7 is correct. In the case of landed nobility, income can come from anything from salt production to ore mines, tarriffs and tolls, or taxes on rich cities that have not achieved independence. Gentry receives income if employed as soldiers by a landed noble. They'd be knights in his forces and/or senechals, stewards etc.

Sir Mathodius Black

k thanks that clears it up.  btw, this was never really answered completely in my last post (probably because of the current chaos), so ill readdress it.

Does anyone have any reccomendations as to the cost of high end things not listed in the book such as manors, castles, paying an army, starting a company, buying land ect?  what amounts do all of you use in your games (if these kinds of purchases are/would be made)?

Thanks,
SMB
"God helps those who helps themselves."

Irmo

Quote from: Sir Mathodius Blackk thanks that clears it up.  btw, this was never really answered completely in my last post (probably because of the current chaos), so ill readdress it.

Does anyone have any reccomendations as to the cost of high end things not listed in the book such as manors, castles, paying an army, starting a company, buying land ect?  what amounts do all of you use in your games (if these kinds of purchases are/would be made)?

Thanks,
SMB

I don't have much time at the moment, so will only adress things briefly: Depending on the legal system in the nation at issue, land might possibly not be bought at all, but belong to the nobility and only "owned" as fiefs. Paying an army obviously depends on whether there is a professional army rather than a levy at all. The building of castles is to no small degree done through corvee type compulsory labor, with the main cash payments being towards the chief engineers and making sure that everyone is fed during construction.

Salamander

Quote from: Sir Mathodius Blackk thanks that clears it up.  btw, this was never really answered completely in my last post (probably because of the current chaos), so ill readdress it.

Thanks,
SMB

In my game this can be a bit easier as I have the priveledge of a few historical examples of costs to compare the games purchasing power to. So dig up a few historic examples online and run with it. I believe some people have posted links to historical prices here before, so do a quick search.

Regardless of a big ticket item's value the biggy has always been time for production. Castles take about eight years to make on average using a form of corvee system as there are many other things the serfs have to do. And the freemen and towns can often create delays by stalling on the taxes. Hell, just making sure the money flows or finding a good architect can be an adventure in and of itself.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".