News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dreamspire?

Started by Bailywolf, August 06, 2004, 10:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailywolf

I know between Nine Worlds and Dust Devils, things have been pretty busy at Chimera Creative, but is there news on Dreamspire?  Since I heard about this project, I have been intrigued by it.

Thanks,

-Ben
[/i]

Matt Snyder

Things have indeed been busy. I'm wrapping up Nine Worlds over the next few days in preparation for GenCon.

Dreamspire is the next game Chimera Creative will release. I can't say when it will be released for certain, but hopefully within coming months.

I've been learning a lot about game design, and I'm impressed by so many great ideas in recent games like HeroQuest, My Life With Master, Trollbabe, and other games. I think you'll see some of that influence in Dreamspire.

The game's premise is straightforward: "Is it better to be feared than loved?" This will be a game about political machinations set amid a nightmarish fantasy.

My latest design notes really emphasize the political aspects of the game. Players will portray a "king" character (not necessarily an actual king, btw. Rather an archetypal leader), plus a host of rank and file who act as the players relationships, subjects and contacts. It's all about influence and ambition. Rank and File can even usurp the king character, or take his place should he meet an untimely demise.

Just some tidbits for now. Thanks for your interest in the game. More to come!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Quick historical note: I consider Trollbabe to be "my Dust Devils." It could never have been written or played without the epiphanies that Dust Devils brought to me and my fellow players.

Best,
Ron

Matt Snyder

Thanks for sharing that, Ron. I'm honored to have informed your design; you certainly informed mine, and continue to do so!

Can you note any specific elements or concepts of Dust Devils that helped shape Trollbabe?
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra